GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jsteiger said:
It was only the North American shipment that was lost. All the racks that are shipping directly from Volker and Cemal are no problem. I'm sure we will see and hear more great stories from those lucky fellows.
Yes, and Jeff is working out a way to have shipping nightmare canceled.
Might take some time, but since you waited since september one or two months more won't hurt :-[

just received the backordered Neutriks, all people receiving from me will receive an email with payment instructions soon.
(meaning until sunday)

Svart said:
PS:  What is the extra cost of the PSU PCB and transformer for the US folks?  Were there any of those special transformers sent to us?
the cost of my PSU PCB is EUR 22,- (up to Jeff to set a $ price).
I didn't send any PSU transformers, but I'm sure Jeff will organize them.

Since this was no GroupBuy / one off I'm sure there will be a time where everybody will be happy.
I feel sorry for the waiting US guys.
(that said, there are waiting "out of US" guys too, not being on the first 100 list, which has priority)

With all the respect,

Is there a possibility to put me in for a GDIY512 18 + psu. Put me absolutely last on the list when every got their order or if anyone drop out??

Regards,

//plexirob

IMPORTANT

Please;

US and Canada purchases should contact Jeff. Though unfortunately the shipment for this is lost.

EC purchases (excluding UK) should contact Volker.

UK and rest of the world purchases should contact me at [email protected]

sahib, have you persued the non-19" enclosure for the PSU any further?
you mentioned that you found inferior off-the-shelf cases at a cheaper price,
would you be prepared to share your sources for these?

also at this point thanks to all of the 51x-men for making this happen!

Dear [silent:arts]

I have made a payment for a couple of 660 slow start pcb, and I have tried to get confirmation that you have received  the payment, and that the order is okay. Your PM is full, could you please assure me that the payment was received last week.
thanks

Just a note on the power connectors.

Below are the links from RS for the 9 pin connectors. Please note that they seem to have used the same socket picture for both the socket and plug but the order codes are different.

9 Way Panel Plug (for 511)
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=234-685

9 Way Panel Socket (for the power supply)
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=531-762

9 Way cable socket
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=234-657

9 Way cable plug
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=531-790

Hi guys
Is the moment apropriate to ask questions about PSU?
-What about the specs of the torroid?
-How many 511 could handle the psu?
(I hope I do not missed those infos in this very long thread!)
Thanks.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36874.0

I should really find the time to update the first post in this thread ...

hard to say. it is designed for one 511 Rack, but depends on the modules installed.
(there is no module with +/-16V & +/-24V & 48V drawing the full power of each rail ...).
let me say it like this: 11 modules @ 16V and 11 modules @ 24V shouldn't be a problem ;)

however, I have some of those PSU transformers if you want one.

[silent:arts] said:
hard to say. it is designed for one 511 Rack, but depends on the modules installed.
(there is no module with +/-16V & +/-24V & 48V drawing the full power of each rail ...).
let me say it like this: 11 modules @ 16V and 11 modules @ 24V shouldn't be a problem ;)

however, I have some of those PSU transformers if you want one.

Jeff

Any chance you could you post the specs for the power transformer.

Mark

Biasrocks said:
Any chance you could you post the specs for the power transformer.

Look at the first post of the thread that was linked to the post you replied to.

...yet.

The GroupDIY 51x Alliance might consider posting (recommended) max current/power draw specs for new modules.

JD 'PM51x anyone?' B.
[sure, one could derive it from the same thread Volker just linked to, but it wouldn't hurt to state this more explicitly]

jdbakker said:

...yet.

The GroupDIY 51x Alliance might consider posting (recommended) max current/power draw specs for new modules.

JD 'PM51x anyone?' B.
[sure, one could derive it from the same thread Volker just linked to, but it wouldn't hurt to state this more explicitly]
;D ;D ;D

if you are fine with it I will recommend this for my PSU.
but what will happen once you will post your PSU plans ???
might have double currency  :mad:
and the need is based on the installed modules.

for a start, the Backplane PCB traces are 1.5mm.
@ 35 um copper the Target calculator says 2A
(why don't they want to know the voltage?)

if you are fine with it I will recommend this for my PSU.
but what will happen once you will post your PSU plans ???

My PSU will have several outputs to power 51x racks and other gear. The 51x-outputs will each be current limited to whatever your supply can deliver.

and the need is based on the installed modules.

I strongly believe this should be the other way around.

If I were a voting 51x-Alliance member I'd put forward a text somewhat like:

"
It is recommended that any GroupDIY 51x-required module draws no more than 130mA from each of the +16V, -16V, +24V and -24V rails, and no more than 15mA from the +48V rail. Modules complying to this limit can be combined within a 51x rack without concern for PSU overload. If the designer cannot meet these limits, he is urged to clearly state that a full rack with one or more of his modules may overload the standard GDIY51x supply. In that case it is up to the user to determine whether a given rack load will work with his supply.

For similar reasons it is recommended that any GroupDIY 51x-required module dissipates no more than xxW power, and to warn the user to take appropriate measures (spacing, (forced) ventilation) should this recommended limit be exceeded.
"
[I've not done a thermal analysis on the 51x rack, so I wouldn't know for sure what a reasonable limit is. API is getting away with ~4W, if I were forced to pull a number out of my hat it would be 5-6W]

...and put this somewhere appropriate (like, oh, here maybe).

That way you're setting a sane baseline without interfering with people's constitutional right to have their 51x rack bear a toaster oven or two.

for a start, the Backplane PCB traces are 1.5mm.
@ 35 um copper the Target calculator says 2A
(why don't they want to know the voltage?)

Because the voltage doesn't matter (much).
Because they're a simplification of the full IPC tables.
Because if they'd wanted completeness they'd also have to include airflow, orientation and even altitude.

JDB.
[and what's the max current through ground then? And should we return PSU current to pin 5 or 13 or both? In case of 'both', doesn't that form a ground loop?]

thanks JDB,

I always love your answers.

could it be you sometimes forget the DIY aspect? ;D

but if you allow, I will post
It is recommended that any GroupDIY 51x-required module draws no more than 130mA from each of the +16V, -16V, +24V and -24V rails, and no more than 15mA from the +48V rail. Modules complying to this limit can be combined within a 51x rack without concern for PSU overload. If the designer cannot meet these limits, he is urged to clearly state that a full rack with one or more of his modules may overload the standard GDIY51x supply. In that case it is up to the user to determine whether a given rack load will work with his supply.
and I will take you on the official 51X member list - now you are a voting member ;D

for now I'm off to meet an austrian forum member for a few beers,
I hope you will contact me if you are in Berlin too ;D ;D ;D

jdbakker said:
...And should we return PSU current to pin 5 or 13 or both? In case of 'both', doesn't that form a ground loop?]
pin 5 & 13 are connected to the same ground plane.
like the "original" does ;D

The ground potential between two pins will be negligibly different.  The bigger issue is always the loop between the rack, AC ground, house/building ground, another AC ground, back to audio gear which is plugged into the rack.  That's where you start to get serious loops forming.  I found that the worst loop problem is from a rack unit plugged into an ADDA box that is plugged into a computer.  The many grounds in a computer cause serious hash to transmit through the audio system since it usually has more ground connections to the AC system(true earth ground).

With a switcher it's imperative that grounding be thoroughly thought out and tested.  Switchers don't inherently cause ground hash but poorly grounded/designed SMPS WILL cause it!

The problem I see with using linears is going to be heat.  With forced cooling in the PSU box, you might get more power before problems arise.  Maybe paralleling up regulators or even using a hybrid Vreg/BJT regulator setup?  I've seen older systems that use a Vreg such as the 78XX and a 2n3055 as a high current regulator.

Latest posts

Back