2254c finished - "EVEn compressor"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10827

Hi all,

here are some pics of my finished units, few finishing touches to go but otherwise all good. the 2u stereo is for me, the mono version are to sell, (and i'llll be donating money to the forum from these units)

Also i have a few spare meters if any one needs, ill post in the black market any hoo..

2254e.jpg

2254d.jpg

2254a.jpg

2254b.jpg

2254c.jpg

oh by the way...it sounds killer!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Igor, i thank you sir for a splendid job on the PCB's..makes life soooo much easier...

Pete

Great looking units!  :eek: Very retro

May I ask how you did the labeling? Or is it filled engraving?

/Flundran

they look fantastic pete and congratulations on 3 units! :eek:
they look like old military equipment (built like a tank) and the wiring is very tidy.
i'm jealous.
regards,
grant

hey guys, thanks, im really pleased with them,

the front panels are Schaffer Engraved...not cheap but nice...

i love the sound, i would say its warm but the response is dead flat up to 18khz, so there is some thing else going on that sounds very musical..

Pete

What a beauty  :eek:

Is there any reason that you chose the horizontal version of the edgewise meters in vertical direction? Any drawbacks in ballistics?

well thanks... :-[  you are all way to nice....i'm not half as good as most of you...i just try to do what one can given the out side time constraints as i guess most of you are in the same boat...family..jobs and whatnot...

still all very good fun!!!

I have not tried the 33609, from experience this does not seem as grabby as a real 33609 (or maybe DIY 33609?), this feels some what slower, like a giant!! even the 100ms seems a little slow, which is very nice for me as you can get 1176 to do fast

so this is very musical machine is how id express it..

re the meter ballistics, no i have noticed any difference in behaviour from either horizontal or vertically mounted, i wanted to go for the vertical in my 2u to reflect the original design layout, and was planing to draw a new scale, but since discoverd its abit tricky to get one in these meters..

im happy with it, the 1-10 scale is not in any way related to the GR, only in the fact that full scale sees 5dB gain reduction, i dont use lot so this is fine for me, in fact dare i use it in mastering situation if something really called for it then the needles barely moving is all i would need..

perfec!

:)

very nice work, pete! they look stunning...
your sound description reminds me on my 33609. and i love it.
so i really have to build a 2254.  ;D
cheers, alex

Did you make the rest of the case on your own? If so wher can I get those "panels" on the sides?

cheers,
M.

Michal,

Here in the UK at Farnell, but RS do them as well, they are made by Schroff, just search that in their web sites.

cheers!

Peter, I am a way happy to see these beauties.
This is the way DIY supposed to be: clean and done with love.
This comp btw sounds "slower" than 33609 not time-responce wise, but soundwise,
it is due to class A output stage adds classic Neve magic.
BTW, you wrote one of units is going to be sold, and I like it.
Hope it will work in good hands and make a music!
With this build quality, you can sell them and be proud for work done.
It is more than "1272" or GSSL cloning.

Hi Igor,

Here are some links for the cases I used, they come in various depths and you will need to order top and bottom plates separately, so make sure it all matches, but for example here is what i used..

2u box, only Front panel, Rear panel and sides

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1370440

1u box, only Front panel, Rear panel and sides

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1370436

then you need the tops and bottoms, they come in various options, sizes, with vents etc..here is what I used for the above 2u case..

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=1370453

To assemble them you will need a special star bolt screw driver if you use the bolts supplied, but you can use normal self tappers instead..

Back