Line-level transformer size ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintrubber

The pic below shows the TXs from an isolating & unbalancing/balancing
box.
No specs about max. signal levels, just Zin & Zout 1kOhm each,
25 Hz - 20 kHz.

mam3.jpg

Haven't tested the unit yet, so who knows it's obvious that it can or can't really
work for levels above a few hundereds of mV.

For now...

If we look at these guys for instance, ...

4013993109_f925794e6b.jpg

... I can believe these can pass a sturdy line-level signal (THD < 0.15% @ 15dBm, 20Hz) 
but how much would it be for those small yellow-tape thingies... ?
Low-side bandwidth will at least be restricted I expect.

I don't plan to record thru the yellow ones, just plan to connect a monitoring-path
to these.
To prevent induced hum by connecting a monitor-mixer to the path
from mic-pre to recorder I thought of connecting that monitor-mixer by means of these isolation-stages.
Would still be nice if they'd pass audio decently.

What do you think,  any potential here or an obvious no-no ?

Thanks,

Peter

out of all the cheap ass ideas, i like this one the best,  ;D

try to estimate the center leg dims on the yellow thingys

yellow was one of the first industrial bands, but i doubt those yellows could handle it,

no wait, the duty cycle on house music, whats the worst bandwidth for saturation, bass, right?

with industrial it's just  boom...boom...booom...boom , all night, kind of a pedestrian beat,

no wait, that's 120 BPM, industrial is kama sutra beat, which is, well, i have to go now.  :D

CJ said:
out of all the cheap ass ideas, i like this one the best,  ;D
I take that as a don't bother with this box  ;)

try to estimate the center leg dims on the yellow thingys

If I still go for a look I'll measure.

But hey, it's sixteen of them, together they're stronger, I could just || them ...  8)

yellow was one of the first industrial bands, but i doubt those yellows could handle it,

Aah, Boris & the guy with the ponytail, I like them (but it won't be the kind of signals I'll be running through these.

Could imagine it'd be a pretty suited box to %&$# a signal, just connect all stages in series...

Regards,

Peter

try it, amazing things happen with transformers.

there is a guy over at the Drawing Board running dc on a torrid, and he loves it!

so anything goes at this point, to say something will not work, is not a safe bet anymore.

and besides, what brings a glow into the room like a warm fire,  or free transformers?

is there anything better than scoring cheap iron?  we think not.

CJ said:
try it, amazing things happen with transformers.

so anything goes at this point, to say something will not work, is not a safe bet anymore.

You're right, as long as I calm down on the signal it might give decent enough performance. Can always add more gain to the monitoring-path.

there is a guy over at the Drawing Board running dc on a torrid, and he loves it!

Ahh, at least he admits he's going for a *&%$-ed-up-sound... I'm just after an isolated monitoring path  ;)

and besides, what brings a glow into the room like a warm fire,  or free transformers?

Glow ?? No no, it's all passive !  ;D  :D

is there anything better than scoring cheap iron?  we think not.

Cheap on the price-axis is cool, cheap on the performance axis isn't (perhaps... dunno for sure, well, ehmm who knows... it does have rack-ears after all... )

Hmm, those small little yellow thingies...

passive box:    (1:1)

mam3.jpg

NTP ZFT:    (happen to be 1:3, but probably not critical)

4fvhsvk.jpg

8)

The question is, would there be any requirements/objections to re-arrange these 16 cheapies for zero-field operation ?

Bye,

Peter

YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT,

YOU ARE NOT A NUMBER, YOU ARE A FREE MAN!

by the way, you name is number 6.

half a dozen of one, 6 of the other, it's all good,  :p

I see what you mean  8)
We got various types of people here, the just-try-it, and the guys that need to know the maths behind it before
they heat up the soldering iron... well,...

... either way, I won't be running old Iron Maiden songs thru it, I'm glad somebody wanted to buy that old vinyl from me    ;)

you gave away The Number of the Beast on Vinyl?

the horror!  ;)

they had that zombie thing on the reunion tour, what is his name? hank jr or something?  ;D

CJ said:
you gave away The Number of the Beast on Vinyl?

the horror!   ;)

[just-a-matter-of-taste]I had a serious look at the vinyl-pile, felt that rockin' bands like M'head, AB/CD, Slayer etc were the keepers
& that I had listened & learned enough from the others. So on to the next person with these it was  8) [/just-a-matter-of-taste]

they had that zombie thing on the reunion tour, what is his name? hank jr or something?  ;D

Haha, that'll be Eddy (Eddie?).
Last summer we did get to see that Hank Jr though, amazing gig, an pretty acoustic starting with fiddle & country 'n all, morphing into Assjack-mayhem. Pretty funny development, most setlists don't do that to this extend  ;D

man these gals at the hank jr show were gettin so gassed, this one biker chick lost her purse down in the bleacher seats, so she was rollin round on the floor like a walrus, almost fell thru the cracks but her husband saved her bacon,

i wen t down and snagged the purse after the show but it was dry,  :mad:

:D

transformers, you want more?

no, we Need more.

ok howabots a we 94 e repeater?

ten bucks says its a barn roof torroid, what sat?

maybe we can teach simon how to run unbal dc on a gapless core?

Latest posts

Back