Gear Pr0n !!! pics inside

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Simonsen

Here we go..some shots of a 8 #ch preamp..Njoy

Had to try out my new digital Cam..just go it so all the pics may not be of prim quality :grin:

MillenniaFullfrontcab.jpg

Millenniafullbackcab.jpg

Millenniain.jpg

Millenniapreampcards.jpg

Millenniacadsbackcloseup.jpg

Millenniacardscloseup.jpg

Millenniapreampcardclose01.jpg

Micinputwirestocard.jpg

Millenniaopampcloseup.jpg

Kind regards

Peter

Looks like lots of ICs.

Now that's a circuit I'd like to see reversed. Looks like it would make a darn fun project indeed!

Thanks for the pics! I love this type of stuff.

Shane

Guy´s the last pic..is the "gain stage"..you can see the opamps has the info..hmmm "taken off"..wonder why they do that..??? :grin: heard somebody mention the opa2602/04´s..or something ??? not sure at all..

Its def..100% opamps all the way through..no discrete stuff in there

Kind regards

Peter

[quote author="zebra50"]Looks very nice.

What is the 130V rail for? Tube mics?

:thumb: :thumb:[/quote]

It´s an option made for the B&K (DPA)130V mics

Kind regards

Peter

In this pic:
Millenniacardscloseup.jpg

C1 on the top card looks to be an awful lot smaller physically than the same cap in the same position on the other cards....

Have a look and see if there's anything different about it? C11 looks like it might be the same, but I think you might have a wrong-value cap in C1's position...?

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]

C1 on the top card looks to be an awful lot smaller physically than the same cap in the same position on the other cards....

Have a look and see if there's anything different about it? C11 looks like it might be the same, but I think you might have a wrong-value cap in C1's position...?

Keith[/quote]

Damm Keith,

Now talk about eyes..;-)..I´ll check next time..that´ll be tomorrow..Damm you´re good..

Kind regards

Peter

[quote author="gyraf"]HeHe.. The Lab: Now also optical troubleshooting included..[/quote]

*Looool*..yeah...He-he...I mean...we can do anything these day´s ;-)

Anybody around who got an idea about the opamps used in that thing..???

Kind regards

Peter

Even though it's all op-amps, I can vouch from experience that the preamp in these pictures is one fine piece of gear. Very clean and plenty of headroom.

My guess in the IC's are Analog Devices AD797 or Burr Brown OPA627/2604s just because of the specs of those op amps. Also, I doubt Millennia would go to any trouble to hide the identity of a 5532/34 chip! That would hardly make for a good secret weapon!

You could measure the voltage rails on the chips, and if it's more than +/-18v that would rule out the AD797 chips, although it is my belief that they are probably the most linear and quiet of all the chips I have used.

I like the OPA627/2604 chips too, but from knowing the Millennia's sound I can't imagine it being them. The Burr Browns always sound darker and fatter in the low end in the instances I have heard them. The AD chips sound just like my Millennia, in my MP20 (which has a transformer input howerever), so that's why I suspect those.

The MP20 runs the AD797s at +/-18v though (they are listed as +/- 15v with +/-18 being the absolut max), and they sound superb. I was thinking of slapping a small heatsink on each chip (do you gurus think that's necessary). The MP20 has proven to be the only pre for some jobs. Most recently it was nylon classical guitar. It was the most accurate of the bunch (312s, 1272s, HV3, and MP20).

Shane

John LaGrou of Mil-Media frequents this forum. Nice guy. Let's extend some courtesy (the same kind we would extend to any other forum member that makes his living manufacturing equipment) by not using words like "reverse" etc, frivolously.

Cool pics nonetheless!

[quote author="Category 5"]
I like the OPA627/2604 chips too, but from knowing the Millennia's sound I can't imagine it being them. The Burr Browns always sound darker and fatter in the low end in the instances I have heard them. The AD chips sound just like my Millennia, in my MP20 (which has a transformer input howerever), so that's why I suspect those.

The MP20 runs the AD797s at +/-18v though (they are listed as +/- 15v with +/-18 being the absolut max), and they sound superb. I was thinking of slapping a small heatsink on each chip (do you gurus think that's necessary). The MP20 has proven to be the only pre for some jobs. Most recently it was nylon classical guitar. It was the most accurate of the bunch (312s, 1272s, HV3, and MP20).

Shane[/quote]

I too have been a BIG fan of the MP20/M80 mic preamps. I think they sound great stock. I just picked up an MP20 for $100!!! Did you just dump the AD797's in there, or did you have to modify anything to get them to work right? That's a mod I might be interested to do. Hell, it couldn't get any easier since Presonus sockets the chips.

The MP20 runs the AD797s at +/-18v though (they are listed as +/- 15v with +/-18 being the absolut max), and they sound superb.

This pre has +32 dBu max out, so +/-18 V is (at least for the output stage) not going to work.

IME the PS for this unit could be improoved, it has a bit of hum in it (not a lot, but AP System 1 does show spikes way above noise). With a SST-1, I had terrible RFI problems when running a video projector from the same power line. Manley & API worked perfect at the very same time & place.

Samuel

[quote author="Ethan"]John LaGrou of Mil-Media frequents this forum. Nice guy. Let's extend some courtesy (the same kind we would extend to any other forum member that makes his living manufacturing equipment) by not using words like "reverse" etc, frivolously.

Cool pics nonetheless![/quote]

Yes I strongly agree with this. The pics where only mean as gearpr0n. Just like the GML 8900 compressor and all the rest of the stuff has been. Its a joy to look at the very high build quality of these products..something to "learn" from and even get inspiration from. The Mil-media preamp is build like a tank..its very high build quality.

Kind regards

Peter

Back