Simple question about mono ceramic capacitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40373

I need to order some .1uF mono ceramic capacitors but there are so many, I don't know what to get. These are being used for HF suppression.

Figure out the operating voltage, then pick a cap with a max rating larger than that. All things being equal there's no technical penalty for using a 630V ceramic where a 100V model would have worked too; the former might be more expensive though.

Figure out how much space you have. Do you need a through-hole cap or an SMD one?

As for dielectrics, C0G/NP0 is better than X5R is better than X7R. C0G/NP0 is too expensive to be justified just for a bypass cap. Never use Y5V/Z5U caps if you can help it.

0.1u/100n is pretty large for an HF bypass cap; almost all capacitors you'll find in that value have a rather low self-resonance point (ie: the point where they stop acting like capacitors and start acting like inductors).

For more than you ever wanted to know: AVX have a free ceramic cap simulator, which shows you the performance of various caps at different voltages and frequencies. It's called SpiCap3, you can download it from their site.

abbey road d enfer said:
Where? Can you post the circuit diagram?

+1.

JD 'context, context, context' B.

Here's the schematic:

http://www.dbxpro.com/product_downloads/Schematics/163X%20Schematic.pdf

The caps I need to replace are C3, C4, C8, C9, C10, C11, C18, C19.

If you wanted to know what else I did to the circuit, I replaced VCA 1 with a 2180A, OA1 with a LME49860 and OA2 with a LME49710. I also replaced all the power supply caps with Nichicon HE series and at least doubled their value and gave them a WIMA polyprop bypass, replaced the small electrolytics (C5, C13, C15) with WIMA MKS-2 polyester caps with a WIMA polyprop bypass, and replaced the mylar caps (C1, C2, C12, C17) with WIMA polyprops.

Just like JDB, I would recommend X5R. In any case, ceramic caps offer the lowest series inductance, which is the determining factor in power supply decoupling; then, X7R being mediocre and C0 too expensive, the choice is rather obvious.

X5R only goes to 50V and are not available in .1uF, at least from mouser. I need through-hole.

You are right about the C0G/NP0...$1.50 each!

jdbakker said:
0.1u/100n is pretty large for an HF bypass cap; almost all capacitors you'll find in that value have a rather low self-resonance point (ie: the point where they stop acting like capacitors and start acting like inductors).

So, some 6 cent Vishay X7R ceramics will be ok for bypass caps? Should I stick with the original value of .01uF instead?

sws2h said:
jdbakker said:

So, some 6 cent Vishay X7R ceramics will be ok for bypass caps? Should I stick with the original value of .01uF instead?
I'm curious about JDB's comment also. Most bypass caps (on PSU boards as well as audio boards, close to opamp V+/- pins, etc) I've seen in projects around here are 0.1uF (100n) and no one's ever mentioned the low self resonance point before. Would .01 be better?

mitsos said:
I'm curious about JDB's comment also. Most bypass caps (on PSU boards as well as audio boards, close to opamp V+/- pins, etc) I've seen in projects around here are 0.1uF (100n) and no one's ever mentioned the low self resonance point before. Would .01 be better?
Me too, curious. A 100nF ceramic has its typical minimum impedance at 3-8MHz, as compared to a 10nF, which is at 10-20MHz. If you're concerned about RFI, smaller caps may be more effective than larger ones in a particular bandwidth. The choice of smaller caps may be done according to the environment (like a 20MHz clock), but I think that, for a unit that does not have digital signals in, larger caps are preferrable. And anyway, any less-than-perfect PCB routing decision can ruin the theory.

I use 0.1uf/100V X7R.  $0.04 for 2500 qty. :) 

X5R = -55C min, +85C max temp, 15% tolerance
X7R = -55C min, +125C max temp, 15% tolerance

Though you can buy some X7R caps with only 10% tolerance.

You can try connecting a scope to the output of your gear, and see the effect of with/without bypass caps and different values. You'd be amaze at how much noise bypass caps can remove. Conclusion: Use power supply bypass caps every time around each chip.

And regarding board design, position them as close as possible to the chip.

abbey road d enfer said:
mitsos said:

Me too, curious. A 100nF ceramic has its typical minimum impedance at 3-8MHz, as compared to a 10nF, which is at 10-20MHz. If you're concerned about RFI, smaller caps may be more effective than larger ones in a particular bandwidth. The choice of smaller caps may be done according to the environment (like a 20MHz clock), but I think that, for a unit that does not have digital signals in, larger caps are preferrable. And anyway, any less-than-perfect PCB routing decision can ruin the theory.

No argument with any of that, and with 5532/072-class op-amps all is just fine with 100n caps.

Then again, it would appear that several people are using (much) faster op-amps in audio applications these days. These parts, like the LM6xxx/THS4xxx series or one of the other ADSL/video chips that are in fashion, do care about HF impedance. I've found in my own designs that a lower-valued cap can be more effective, I believe that some manufacturers' data sheets and app notes recommend likewise. One DIYish example would be the TPA6120A2 headphone amp, where IME some extra care towards the supply decoupling goes a long way. An additional concern is that better-behaved C0G/NP0 capacitors are affordable in 10n values, not so much for 100n, and the HF impedance upgrade in going from 100n X5R to 10n C0G can help quite a bit for the more temperamental parts.

Give a moment's thought to what the cap is supposed to achieve before blindly plonking in another 100n part is all I'm saying.

(You might well argue that a part fast enough to care this much about its power supply decoupling will certainly not want to live in a DIP package - let alone an adapter board with no local decoupling - and an upgrade through blind op-amp swapping will be a bit like Russian roulette; I couldn't possibly comment).

JD 'think before you plonk' B.
[stuff about X5R vs X7R to follow tomorrow, once I've had a chance to try and back remembered anecdotes and vague theories with harder evidence. Sleep first, though]

Back