V72 Plate Choke

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
this is the second of three we have to take apart, this one is simple electronically,

red is the start, green is the finish,

but winding it is another story. three chambers, which reduce C by 3^2 = 1/9 the stray C.

in other words, if you were to wind all the turns togeher, you would have 9 times the rolloff.

one of these already re wound,  25 more Henries and 900 less DCR ohms, new wire is to blame.

3 chambers, 7,500 turns each chamber equals 15,000 + 7,500 = 22,500, sheesh-o-matic!  :mad: ;D ;)

169kz6a.jpg

2dhi2av.jpg

28wcx6t.jpg

2qcj8lz.jpg

can you read this?  says 300 Henries, and that some units were wired different,

11mdbnr.jpg

2a01ab5.jpg

258z95f.jpg

zxs7ev.jpg

3534n46.jpg

fixed gap lams are way cool, noo worry about the Henries moving with age due to mechanical shock,

if you do not know how they work, it can be like a Chineese puzzle, very frustrating the first time,

2remcsl.jpg

oabzvq.jpg

1zdodup.jpg

oiyf7p.jpg

28cinaf.jpg

2dgkx39.jpg

2j1a2ja.jpg

ix8ahv.jpg

i am going to sell these windings on evilbay as super super slinkys,  :D

zxur7s.jpg

So off the shelf wire available today will not get you the same choke.

I thought all or most wire is just copper enamel coated. Is the V72 choke wire a copper alloy mix ?

The way I understand it , most of the lams usuallly carry the exotic metal content.

we have good wire nowadays, kapton coated stuff that will withstand 30 kv,

the lams, i think you can get those sell gapped lams in Europe if i am not on crack.

we have the 72 output thread going up today, so stay tuned,

Back