Machining the sides of a mic capsule flat ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindell

What would happen if you machined the sides of a mic capsule flat to make it fit in a smaller housing ? Like 2 mm on each side for an example....
Would that affect the sound of the capsule? or any other side effects...

I read somewhere that AKG used to do that on the C24...

/Lindell

Hard to say, I think. Try it with one and see what happens..

There's a lot that can be said of what theoretically can happen, but I'm almost sure that these theories will fail to predict real-world outcome..

Jakob E.

Shooooooot! :evil: :evil:

Just spent half an hour writing and lost it. :evil: :evil:

Basically, what I wrote was that all the capsule parameters, including its physical size, are very carefully matched and balanced. Changing one of them will lead to changing others.

To see how it works I'd suggest first, increase (cause it's easier to do) the diameter by putting around the capsule some 2mm layer, and see how, and if its sound's changed, to your ears. Most likely the sound will change opposite direction, with diameter decrease.

i have an old german tube mic being restored on my bench at the minute that has the sides of the capsule mount machined down.

can't be much help as i don't have an identical capsule but the mic seems to sound very nice, will try and get round to posting pics later this week.

[quote author="toby"]i have an old german tube mic being restored on my bench at the minute that has the sides of the capsule mount machined down.

can't be much help as i don't have an identical capsule but the mic seems to sound very nice, will try and get round to posting pics later this week.[/quote] Great !

Latest posts

Back