Odd three-legged component

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riggler

Does anyone have a clue what this is? It's on a printer display/button PCB. To the touch, it has the consistency of a wirewound power resistor. It's small, about 1/4". You can see that one end is cracked. The number on the component looks to be 400G732, could be 400C732 with a small M subscript to the C.

It's cracked because my wife dropped a heavy picture frame on top of the printer and this piece took the hit.  ::)

unknown.jpg

Oh... That is a sudden impact absorption component....  It is similar to the myriad of patented silicon-to-carbon over-current conversion circuits....  :D

But seriously folks... Might be an RFI component to filter out radio frequency interference?  But hard to tell unless it is near an interface to the outside world (e.g., power supply input, data input etc.)....  Whut's around it? What is the reference designator printed on the silk screen on the PCB... sometimes that can help?  Looks like it is near the IC, which may have a datasheet that would call out for such a component to be placed near its pins...

Might be a crystal or other RF style of component / filter ?

The two test points (although would need a FET style of probe) could be for seeing if it oscillates if it is a crystal...  As best I can tell from the photo, might be pin 17 and 18 next to each other on the IC datasheet if you can find the datasheet...

Ceramic resonator, works as the clock for the microcontroller. You should be able to read the value printed on the other side. Easily available.

Man you guys are good, that's it for sure.
So the Cm in the middle of the number is the manufacturer - Murata. The 400 probably refers to 400kHz, but what about the trailing numbers? The datasheet doesn't indicate what the stamped numbers are. The circuit designator is Y1. Will post back with the IC id.

Thanks again!

There's no printing on the other side.
So the 400 designates 400kHz -- or MHz? How do you know this one is kHz?
It seems that the only 400kHz pieces I can find on Mouser / Digikey are two-leaded.
I did find a 400MHz piece on Mouser that is 3 leaded though! (CSTLS4M00G53-B0)

riggler said:
It seems that the only 400kHz pieces I can find on Mouser / Digikey are two-leaded.

The third (middle) leg is a ground connection. The three-legged parts have an internal capacitance between each of the outer pins and the middle pin; several IC oscillators require this.

Figure out what the capacitance is in the broken resonator. In the other thread you mention you have the data sheet; if it's not on there it should be in the microcontroller's data sheet. If all else fails 22pF per leg is a good first try.

Get the two-legged resonator, solder it to the outer pads of your mystery device. Now take two small capacitors (SMD 1206/0805 is best), solder one between each of the outer pads and the middle pad. This should get it working.

JDB.

riggler said:
There's no printing on the other side.
So the 400 designates 400kHz -- or MHz? How do you know this one is kHz?
400 kHz isa little mit low and 400 Mhz way too high.
Normal would be 4 MHz.  Look at the chip numbers on the chip beside it, search for the datasheet and you will find it out.  If there are no capacitors to ground at the outside pins you will need a resonator with built in capacitors.

Good luck.

analogguru

OK the IC next to this has three lines of printing:

K0D0000
H1K3A --or-- HIK3A

4 groups of 8 pins around the square, with pin one being the leftmost of the bottom row. The pins the ceramic resonator is attached to would be the first two on the right side.

ic.JPG

Note the test points right there, hmm...

Kodak EasyShare 5300 is the printer. Found these are definitely 400kHz. So I will buy two two-leaded pieces along with caps and have a go at it!
Thanks for all your help everyone.

Latest posts

Back