ALTRAN C-3402-2 = ZOBEL for 312. etc...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khstudio

Hey everybody,
I got some Altran C-3402-2 input TX's to test in a few circuits & tried some in my XXX312 pre's.
They sounded OK but I could here some funky shit going on in the high end so I got out my scope to see what was up & started working on a Zobel to tune it because it had a fair amount of "Overshoot & some Ringing".
ALL my testing was done using a 100k Load on the secondary while the TX's were IN the circuit!!!!! This is very important.
The source impedance has a LOT to do with how much ringing &/or overshoot you get... I manly tested between 150 - 200 ohm for the source load = like a mic.

After finding the values that looked good on the scope = trying to get as close to a "square-wave" as possible...
I found my Zobel: 120p/20k

Then I went in the control room & started listening with & without this Zobel.
INSTANTLY I liked the Zobel better than without!!!

Just to make sure, I ran some frequency sweeps to see what was going on...
with the Zobel it was down .5 dB at 20k
without the Zobel it was down .2 dB at 20k

ALL other parts of the sweep were the same. I also tried some alternate values but they didn't sound as good.

I tested & listened for many hours & Days & wanted to share what I found/heard.
PLEASE don't tell me it won't or doesn't sound good unless YOU try it for yourself... don't be lazy, it only takes a few minutes then you can decide for yourself.

I gotta say... it sounds WAY more focused & balanced with the Zobel.
The sound without it is way too loose & annoying... especially in the highs & mids... everywhere really.
Some input TX's may sound good ringing but IMHO, this one does NOT!

Check it out!

Peace,
Kevin

Attachments

• New-API---ALTRAN-Sweeps-sm.jpg
    New-API---ALTRAN-Sweeps-sm.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 89

Latest posts

Back