How to protect a transformer-less mic?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An SM57 will not be harmed. I've heard people say that they can hear a difference in sound ( a very, *very* slight difference ). I'm not sure I buy it.

Some have been modded by removing the
average grade output transformer
[ said to , i haven't tried it yet make it
a little more open & smoother at the cost
of more noise on low level because of impedance change ? ]

Just took the transformer out of one of my 57's.
Still a little worried about possible damage by phantom power tough.
I found this on the net:

"If you are worried about that, (some consoles don't have phantom switches like older Harrisons) just wire one cap in series with each one of the wires to the capsule. Use a cap rated at 50 volts or more. A 47 uf ought to do, just place them so the + pin faces the XLR pins. Use a good cap like Panasonic FM or Nichicon HE, bypass with a quality polyprop film cap for more details."

But, wouldn't it be more logical if the lythics + is facing the capsule?
Anyone?

Hank Dussen said:
How can I protect a transformer-less SM57 against phantom power?
Will simple blocking caps do?
If so, what value?
A standard SM57 with transformer doesn't have capacitors; does it worry you?
If the answer is no, why would you have capacitors when you have a direct connection to the capsule ("transformerless")?
Phantom power has been designed in such a way that dynamic microphones should not be harmed by it.
There's a risk only if there's a wrong connection.
The whole idea is that the capsule (or transformer secondary) is floating vs. ground; both hot and cold conductors are at the same DC potential so there's no current.
Whatever improvement brought up by the "transformerotomy" (ablation of the transformer) may well be diminished by the addition of electrolytic caps.

I understand that within normal circumstances phantom power should not harm even a transformerless microphone but circumstances are not always normal. Especially live.
Anyway I'll try it with and without caps and compare.

Most moving coil dynamic mics these days are transformerless by design. None of the current Beyerdynamic moving coil dynamics uses a transformer. The Shure SM57/58 are an exception to the rule.

In fact, a lot of dynamics were transformerless even in the 50s and 50s. Transformers were mostly used for mics offered two or more output impedances for interfacing with home, semipro and studio equipment. Some of the SM58's predecessors had an internal switch for hi and low impedance. Hi impedance is useful for plugging a mic directly into a guitar amp, for instance.

A dynamic mic won't see phantom power - P48 is specifically designed for that. The coil is wired to Pin2 and 3, which are on the same voltage potential. Even if there is a small voltage difference due badly matched phantom power resistors, it's not likely to harm your mic. Moving coil dynamics are quite rugged.

Latest posts

Back