DIY preamps finished! with sound samples

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmp

I've finished a bunch of preamps over the past year with the great help of this forum.
API from Classic API, NEVE EZ1290, SSL 9k, UA 1108, and NYD 1-bottle with switchable transformer out or active balanced out. 
I can't thank everyone here enough for the great resource and community!

Here are links to a couple of recordings in case anyone wants to hear what they sound like... there are noticeable differences even to my poor ears.
One track with a series of Vocal performances and one track with Acoustic Guitar performances. In both, the name of the preamp is said before the particular performance.
For comparison, I used a few non-DIY preamps at the end in the guitar experiments... ADM, M-Audio Audio Buddy, and a Peavey A/A-8P.
I can add .wav files if anyone dislikes mp3s  :)
www.pro*bstin*novation.com/GuitarMicPreampTests.mp3
www.pro*bstinnov*ation.com/VocalMicPreampTests.mp3
(remove *)

Attachments

• Preamps.JPG
    Preamps.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 516
Looks like you put the NYD in the RP 520 enclosure....interesting...
Congrats on all the builds. Will listen and evaluate later.

A nice selection of pre's you've got to work with.

It was surprising how much the Neve stood out on the acoustic gtr and how much bottom end the ADM had.

Mark

Looks like you put the NYD in the RP 520 enclosure....interesting...
Yes, and it worked great - I'm still experimenting with it but the PCB is almost perfectly suited component wise.
The original circuit rolled off bass, with NYD's design it is flat 20-20kHz.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. Like you, I am grateful for this forum.
Did you mean you altered the RP 520 PCB to make the NYD?
What mic was used?
I like the API, NYD (transformer) and Neve on the guitar.
API, ADM, Neve are my faves on your voice. Thought I would like the SSL more than I did, but it sounds good. To me, the API really shines on both sources.
Nice voice and song...

Yeah, Neve and API did most for me and I noticed that SSL works great when you apply compression. Liked ADM, too. 1108 quickly reminded me of the 50s and 60s. The Neve is fat indeed.. in a really nice kind of way

Did you mean you altered the RP 520 PCB to make the NYD?
Yes. Completely re-populated the board
What mic was used?
Guitar: '51 J-50 > Sennheiser MD441, brilliance on (12fret, 6" back)
Voice > pop screen > Shure Sm7b
1108 quickly reminded me of the 50s and 60s.
Me too! A nice option for harmony vocals. I tried the input transformer (UTC O-2) inspired by the Beach Boys (used O-1 in UA610s).  
Nice voice and song...
Thanks to my friend Brian for performing the song (by the Steeldrivers I think).

I really liked both the NYD preamps best. Had most detail even when there was a clear hint of tube distortion, funny how that works. Perhaps that neve EZ1290 was quite similar in comparison, but not as interesting. That ADM is very transparent, I was surprised. The rest were a bit "meh" in comparison. especially API. I guess it works for rock when you don't need any details and just want mid range "honk".

What transformers did you use for NYD pre, and what is the solid state output you mention?

Thanks for the great shootout.

I was considering the EZ1290 at one stage but settled for the NV73. Does that EZ1290 have 80db of gain?

Have you had the chance to compare the EZ1290 with other neve 1073 DIY clones?

Nice comparison, i've just gone true the acoustics, and NYD is killer, API is nice and Neve also, the rest is too colored or too flat,  but NYD 1st for me big time...

Thanks for that

canidoit said:
I was considering the EZ1290 at one stage but settled for the NV73. Does that EZ1290 have 80db of gain?

Have considered selling my BAE 3405s and building some of the 1290s and am curious as to how their sound stacks up as well

What transformers did you use for NYD pre, and what is the solid state output you mention?
The output transformer is an Edcor 10k/600, and the active balancing stage uses two OPA2604. As I said above, it is built in a Bellari RP520 case using the PCB, which already had an active balance out. I changed the ICs. The gain with the transformer out is only around 40dB, while with the active balance out it is up around 60dB. I think the tubes are working really hard with the transformer output, and we hear more distortion.
The input transformer is the stock Bellari input (1:10 I think). I'd like to try something better and see how it compares,.
It has 75dB max gain (steps of 5 down to 20, then I have a -20dB pad). I only have this one so I can't comment on the other Neves. I think the layout on the ez1290 is really good. I used Carnhill for the mic input and the output. I added a Marinair Line in Transformer, and put a 3pdt switch for them on the front panel. The line in gets a voltage divider to mimic the -10dB setting of a 1073, but then I can add on gain with the regular switch. It is nice high quality, high gain 2channel line amp - but I haven't tried it much yet.

The gain with the transformer out is only around 40dB, while with the active balance out it is up around 60dB.
I forgot to mention I increased the feedback pot from 100k (NYD's) to 500k, which gives it a lot more gain. Obviously, this decreases the negative feedback and surely will change the sound, but I am experimenting. For these recordings, I think the pot was at about 200-250k.

dmp said:
The gain with the transformer out is only around 40dB, while with the active balance out it is up around 60dB.
I forgot to mention I increased the feedback pot from 100k (NYD's) to 500k, which gives it a lot more gain. Obviously, this decreases the negative feedback and surely will change the sound, but I am experimenting. For these recordings, I think the pot was at about 200-250k.

good idea! at 500k it runs at "no" feedback. More gain, but more distortion obviously. But never the bad type of distortion. I did a similar thing with MILA1, just with a rotary switch.

Latest posts

Back