What's the effect of the pot values in this eq circuit? Auditronics 110, API 553

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumsolly

How would changing the pot values effect the function of these circuits? The API uses 10k pots while the Auditronics uses 2.5k for the band gain. The Auditronics does +/- 12db and the API does +/- 15db, but I don't think that is the whole story. I am asking in part because I may be replacing pots in my Auditronics and I would have a lot more choices if was looking for 10k pots. Thanks, Ben

Here is the API schematic:

Attachments

• API553.jpg
    API553.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 68
Ben,

I am far from en expert on these but learning...at least I like to think.  :D

There is more to it like you say. I know the feedback R (R59) and C would have to be changed along with R54 and R55. I think this may open you up to other gain changes along the entire signal path. With the swinging inputs, the pots are part of the feedback network AFAIK.

I will also anxiously wait for someone in-the-know to post some insightful details.  ;)

Do some searching for "swinging input eq" and you will find some very good info.

best, Jeff

> a lot more choices if was looking for 10k

So do it.

The "downside" is that the 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock zone of the pot will hardly do much. If you are into very-fine 1dB kinks, that may be great.

Mock it up with loose pots on long wires, see how it feels.

Latest posts

Back