Question on DBX160A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
Hello Guys, i have two of these units, the newer ones, had them for cheap some time ago but in US Voltage, i just wanted to change the transformer that is a 120V/125ma Primary and a Secondary CT 21.9V/0.184 about 8W ( as written on the transformer)
So about 11VAC that ends up to about 15.5VDC, and the onboard regulation must be based on 7815/7915 Vreg.
And i was thinking replacing it with this:
http://fr.farnell.com/multicomp/mcfm70-09/transformateur-mini-7va-2x-9v/dp/9531580

On No Load it says 11VAC so it could match about what the other gives but will maybe be to weak? Or spot on?

Or better go for higher secondary voltage and VA's? like 2*12V 15VA instead? OR a 2*12V 7VA?

Wanted to have a second tought from you guys, and to know wich one will be better for the task.

Thanks for the input.

The original power tranny is one of the weak points. If you´re planning to put a new one in then get one with higher power rating than stock. Don´t worry too much about the voltage. A few volts more will easily be taken by the regulators, but won´t give you any benefit, either ( besides more security that the regs can do their job). There´s no high current involved, which keeps power dissipation across the regulators low.
I´d go for 2x15V 15VA

Thanks Jensenmann, well seems Farnell will be out of stock on the 2*15 15VA (81 weeks delay), for the cheapest one, there is encapsulated also, but i guess a 2*12V 15VA will still be ok.

On a side note, i can see that there is an empty space with a Transformer silskreen on PCB, i guess for balancing, was it an old option?

hmmm, could be nice to upgrade in the future, what type of tranny, do you know?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Found this:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=25538.0

Latest posts

Back