THAT 1512/1646 preamp...interest?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemini86

I've been working on a layout for a while now, maybe it's ready (enough) for the forum to pick apart... Please comment, critique, throw fruit, etc...

It's not my first layout but it is my first 51x layout, so I'm hoping I got the card-edge right. (Just a note: the layout includes connector pads for wiring into a conventional chassis.) I tried to keep it SIMPLE... The relay phase switching could be optional if you want to hard wire in a DPDT switch. There is no VU meter, only signal/clip indicators. The gain control is just a 10K REVLOG pot. No input/output iron options, if you want the bells and whistled, check out the SCA t15 or the FiveFish offerings, they're very nice units but out of my price-range.

The schematic is attached.

Attachments

• 1512preschematic.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 195
...and the layout/home-etch file.

The lines all over the component layer are jumpers, which made avoiding a dual side etch possible. If there's enough interest in having PCB's made, I'll release the gerbers to whoever will be arranging the order, as I don't have any experience with PCB houses.

I know this isn't the first pre of this design, and it isn't even remotely close to original work (why reinvent the wheel?) but I've used a very similar circuit on vero board for a little while and I like the clean-ness of it, and felt that there should be a cheap, KISS, home etch friendly version available.

I'm hoping to get stuff together by end of next week to have a working unit, but I'm not gonna lie, there's a good chance I won't get to it. So having said that, this layout and PCB artwork is, as of now, UNVERIFIED/UNTESTED... Please don't hate me forever if I've made a goof that was missed.

...anyway, I'm gonna go eat another slice of my birthday cake... :)

EDIT: updated PDF

Attachments

• 1512pre.pdf
    129.6 KB · Views: 80
Well that looks rather nice!

I also put something very much like this together on perfboard a couple of years ago (although I skipped the input caps and phantom). It sounds very nice and is still in use on a regular basis.

Stewart

And happy birthday!

looks pretty cool, recently did a 500 series home etch and it was a bit of a pain to cut the board straight on the edge connector, but this looks a bit easier, at least it doesn't have trafo holes.

2 suggestions:  Move the top left hole back and down a bit so it's further from the traces so it makes it less likely to have mechanical problems, or shorts.

Also, another image with the traces and overlay might make it easier to make suggestions  ;)

Is the servo from an app note? I've always wondered how to use that ref pin, they don't go into too much detail on the datasheet.  

cheers!

Ah, yes. The mounting hole. I threw those in at the last second and I should have caught that. I'll make an adjustment to the file and try to make an overlay of the copper and component layers.

About the servo, a couple commercial units use them. Specifically, check out the Rane ms-1. (The circuit resemblance is uncanny. ;))

I've updated the PDF in the second post with some slightly re-routed traces to keep them away from the nearby mounting hole. I feel that at a 1/4 inch inboard from the edge, they're in a good spot for me, as I've never experienced any problems with pcbs breaking? Is this something to worry about with 500 modules?

Anyway, here's an overlay of the copper, components and dimensions.

Attachments

• 1512overlay.JPG
    1512overlay.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 109

Latest posts

Back