New Ribbon microphone from Marik!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra50

Hi!

Some of you may have seen this already, but forum member Marik (AKA Mark Fouxman) has taken the plunge and started manufacturing his own line of ribbon microphones. They look pretty awesome.

Mark's transformers are excellent and I'm sure the microphones will display his usual meticulous attention to detail. I haven't managed to get my hands on one yet but there are some samples at the mic shootout here...

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Samar/MF65
http://recordinghacks.com/

I'm hoping that Mark will pop by and share what technical details he can about these. :)

Over the years Marik has generously shared his knowledge about building and modifying microphones, both here at at numerous other forums. I'd like to wish him luck with his new venture.

Stewart

Attachments

• SamarMic.jpg
    SamarMic.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 221
Wow, he finally did it! I'm curious about the construction details, as I'm sure Marik won't produce a "me too" ribbon.

Recordinghacks already have them in their ribbon shootout. But so far no acoustic guitar and voice samples, which I think would be the most telling.

The voiceover shootout will be posted in a day or two. The voice actor (Corey Burton -- guaranteed you've
heard him a million times without knowing it) has been an amazing resource, and is making a final review
pass on his interview transcription before we hit the publish button.

The acoustic guitar test will follow, later this week. These things take a long time to pull together.

There is nothing "me, too" about the MF65. They are distinctive visually, in the hand (they are disarmingly
heavy for their size, and the magnets will pull studs out of the wall), and they sounded great on everything
we threw at them.

It was a treat to compare these head-to-head against all the other premium ribbons on the market --
Shure KSM353, sE RNR1, all the Royer mics, the Coles 4038, the high-end AEAs, etc. For a lot of engineers,
the MF65 will edge previous favorites out of the pack. Certainly my personal wishlist changed as a result of
this test.

The MF65s won't be inexpensive. But I think they combine vintage and modern voicings in such an appealing
way that they will become the go-to ribbon choice for lots of applications.

Thank you Gentlemen, I appreciate all your nice words and support!

Some old TechTalk members probably remember my first "pencil holder" ribbon (I still sometimes stumble into its parts here and there--maybe I have to put it back together if anything, just for sentimental reasons). That one was big and crude and was made way before Lundahl was even making ribbon transformers (IIRC, I used MC transformer) and it was still before a big boom of Chinese ribbons hitting the market. Now I can clearly see how disastrous that mic was--I had no idea what I was doing. Nevertheless, it still sounded just fine...

It's been a long learning curve since, and I'd like to thank many of you (especially PRR, Mihal (XVLK), Stewart (Zebra50), Roddy, Rossi, and many others) for all great help, suggestions, or just talking about ribbons and participating in ribbons threads (esp. in the epic thread of ribbon dissection), or simply for words like: "Ribbons are awesome"  8). 

Indeed, the MF65 is not the "me too" one. Somehow I feel the whole microphone making industry got stuck in yet another RCA44, Neumann U47, or AKG C12 clones (I guess, it is important not to confuse with "historical recreation"), so the whole idea behind the MF65 was to make something completely new, original, unique, and innovative in both, sound and design.

The biggest challenge in any ribbon microphone design is to find a good balance/compromise between bottom response/good output on one hand, and top frequency response on another. It took me about 8 years to solve it. I guess, that's what Matt (recordinghacks) meant by "they combine vintage and modern voicings"--they have a good low end response on one hand, and very extended top end (along with a good sensitivity), on another.

As for technical details, the mic has the shortest front to back path ever seen in ribbon microphones. For efficiency of the design, the motor is actually made as an extension of the main body to the point there is no separation between both, and entire structure has 6 (out of which 2 are custom made) magnets to maintain good efficiency.

The main problem with such an approach is that only precision machining could work, so it took about a year just to find a shop to undertake the project (I wanted to go local and I am sure, by now the guys just hate me  :-X). In this microphone you won't find any cheap stamped parts (even ribbon clamps) or parts outsourced from cheap labor countries. Everything is machined on the State of Art 7 axis CNC machinery here in Utah. The body is cut out of a solid (!) piece of steel and top and bottom caps are 'screw on' design with such a perfect fit that all the lines integrate smoothly, with no visible steps. All the parts are hand polished with brushed appearance and then chrome plated.

I still cannot decide what type of corrugation I am going to use--the regular zig-zag, or piston one. Each has its own distinct sonics, so I might just make two versions and offer the customers to chose... For consistency of ribbon tuning there is a mechanism or ribbon fine adjustment.

Other details are, the microphone will have acoustically transparent grill (it cannot be seen on the pictures, yet). The toroidal transformer is custom designed and tuned specifically for this model and is made in house.

But I guess, all that matters is the sound, so here are a couple files:

Sincerely yours on Samick piano in Non Stop Music studio in Salt Lake City. The hall is pretty small, but has high ceilings. I placed the mics as Blumlein about 6' high and 3' out of piano. No any EQ or processing.

Somewhere over the Rainbow:

http://samaraudiodesign.com/RibbonA.wav

Matt Smith on acoustic guitar at Nick Galieti 5-1 studio. Again, no EQ or any other processing:

http://www.samaraudiodesign.com/SamarRibbonAcoustic.wav

I will be sending the mics to an independent facility to get all the plots, graphs, and data some time this week and will post once it is ready.

Best, M

Congrats, Marik! Sounds awesome, especially the piano example (nice playing, too!).

Congrats mark,

I'm in the process of selling off my mics but these look tempting!  The piano sample is really nice, I like how the mics represent the dynamics.  The acoustic guitar sample is quite boomy, I'd suspect the mic was too close to the soundhole.  It might be worth revisiting before you post it on other forums.

Any ballpark price for these?

Those really look great.  I really expect great things with these, after having Mark build me several mics out of Chinese Stellar bodies.  They are among the best mics I own now.  Zig-zag and piston type ribbons are both useful in different ways, might have to offer both types.  Only problem being the endless question of "which should I buy".   

Again, thank you all for your nice words!

ruairioflaherty said:
Any ballpark price for these?

Today we finally were able to put all the numbers together and the price for the MF65 will be $2,299.00. As a part of introductory specials the serial numbers 1-50 will be sold for $1,799.00. FYI, the serial numbers 1-8 are already gone.

At this point we are finalizing the production of the shock mounts (which will be an integral part of the body (but user removable) and fit into the hardwood box), so once the shocks are ready the microphones will hit the market (we are shooting for October). At this point we are accepting pre orders (and S/N 13 is still unclaimed  ;D).

Best, M

Had a chance to check these out at the AES show this last weekend.  All I can say is... Wow....  And I'm not easily impressed.  Great job there Mark!  Now all I have to do is come up with some money for a pair....

I too checked them out at the show. Very impressive from someone who usually says who needs another mic, or mic pre, or eq,etc,etc. These are cool, especially the one with the two capsules set up in a blumlein pattern

Thank you Gentlemen for stopping by, support, and nice words!

Here are a few pics:

With Rick Perrotta of Royer Labs:

RickPerrotta.jpg

With Larrchild:

LarryJanus.jpg

With legendary founder of "Blue" Martins Saulespurens and Scott Dorsey:

MartinsScott3.jpg

My goodies:

MyGoodies.jpg

Mike Muller from Dave Letterman show

MikeMullerCBS.jpg

Scott talks about meaningful data to predict microphone sound in the real situation:

ScottMartins.jpg

the pics really don't do justice for how great the build quality on these mics are.  they're absolutely stunning.  I wanna hear some horn demos, tho!  Piano sounds fantastic, by the way.  i normally hate the way most solo pianos are recorded.  No one seems to get it right anymore, compared to those old Bill Evans recordings...    Well done!

Back