Attenuators - Calculations for making them

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLB

I have noticed that there are a lot of people asking about various types of attenuators, how to make them and what the values should be. I have attached the values and resistance curves for a 600r Bridged-T Attenuator. As you will see from the resistance curves you can't buy off the shelf pots. You have to get them custom made. Universal Audio gets them made by PEC.

Attachments

• 600r Bridged-T Attenuator Calculations.pdf
    189.5 KB · Views: 60
Because you can only add 1 attachment to a post I have attached the info for a 200r Bridged-T Attenuator. If you would like other impedance types just ask.

The 200r Attenuator is what is required for the EMI REDD47.

Attachments

• 200r Bridged-T Attenuator Calculations.pdf
    189.5 KB · Views: 23
welcome and thanks.
(you might revisit the 'Voltage Ratio' column for the correct values =power(10;(dB value / 20)) and fix the typo '200r' for 600 ohm in the headline)

Hi Harpo,

I don't understand what you mean by "=power(10;(dB value / 20)) " I used the formula in the attached file.

Attachments

• fromula.jpg
    fromula.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 25
your 'Voltage Ratio' column is giving wrong numbers. (this is an attenuator, so voltage ratio K >=1)

I don't understand what you mean by "=power(10;(dB value / 20)) " I used the formula in the attached file.
same as =1/(10^(dB value/20)) if you like it better.

have a look at my version to get the idea.

edit: just added some other sheets to this excel file
edit2: .. and the next

I see what you are saying. The R1 and R2 values are right the voltage ratio column had the -1 subtracted from it so it was not technically the voltage ratio. It was the voltage ratio -1. I have fixed this miss leading bit up. Thanks for pointing it out.

I have updated the pdf files in the earlier posts and added the XL sheet.

Bridged-T Attenuator Calculator.xlsx

Regards,
Brezo

Back