MCA SP1 Microphone mods, If any....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeroddumas

Anyone have any mods for these mics. As far as I understand it is the same capsule as the 603. SD capsule. If there are no mods for the electronics can I use this capsule in a G7 varient or should I only use LD capsules for the G7?

I just partially recapped my MCA SP1. Replaced all .22uf caps and .022 caps with polyester because I had some of those around. This really has opened this mic up as far as I can tell with my voice, I can't sing though. I think if I replace the 1000pf caps with polystyrene caps I may be on to something. This mic was very gritty sounding to me at first, now it is a lot smoother. i think this is the same capsule as in the 603 if I am not mistaken. I may now find some uses for this mic.

[quote author="jeroddumas"]it's a fet circuit, not sure of the exact type. [/quote]

It is a Schoeps circuit, found in many mics--MXL603, 990, 991, and many others. The mods would be essentially the same, with an exception that there is much more room for good quality 1-2.2MF film caps.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have an MXL2001 can these be mod'ed also?

Is there any websites that show how to dissassemble the MXL mics?
(there is no screws showing externally)

I have one of the mca pieces of junk. I upgraded the caps sounds a little better still crap.

I think that side address small dia stuff in a big grill is not a good design. Who started this and why?.

The baffle ring and grill refections are the problems my ears don't like that. The capsule was designed without a baffle I would think.

the capsule looks like one in a 603 but mine does not sound good, overloads to easy I think maybe the tension is not enought.

I don't know Gus. My microphone sounded like pure crap before I upgraded some of the caps. Now it is usable. Maybe you have a bad one? i don't know. i mean it doesn't sound like a high grade mic, but it sounds more like the other shanghai ics now. I can't wait untiol i get my G7 done though.

Not to hijack this thread, but I want to add more input. Yeah, it's totally a piece of junk, but for $50 can you really complain? I've embraced it's lack of detail and veiled, rounded, sound for certain applications and like it better than some of the comparable MXL mics - including the 1006 which has the EXACT same circuitry. If I had real mics in my home studio I would get rid of it. In the dirt cheap LDC department I don't think you can beat a CAD, particularly the M179. With upgrades it might sound even closer to a 414 or something like that. I think I'll try some mechanical mods around the capsule first.

[quote author="Gus"]I have one of the mca pieces of junk. I upgraded the caps sounds a little better still crap.

I think that side address small dia stuff in a big grill is not a good design. Who started this and why?.

The baffle ring and grill refections are the problems my ears don't like that. The capsule was designed without a baffle I would think.

the capsule looks like one in a 603 but mine does not sound good, overloads to easy I think maybe the tension is not enought.[/quote]

I agree with gus on this one. I had one that I temporarly moded into a tube mic, but it didn't really sound too good. Then I took the capsule out and mounted it in an old Peavy handheld body with a big open grill and the sound was so much better. I think the baffle and the grill really kill the capsules potential in that mic.

[quote author="RedHouse"]Is there any websites that show how to dissassemble the MXL mics?(there is no screws showing externally)[/quote]
Disassemble the MXL mics by twisting the bottom of the body near the XLR connector. You'll notice that it's a separate piece which unscrews anti-clockwise.

Family Hoof
Disassemble the MXL mics by twisting the bottom of the body near the XLR connector. You'll notice that it's a separate piece which unscrews anti-clockwise.

Thanks, that did it.

BTW, sorry about the multiple posts folks, I was getting some kind of database error yeaterday and I tried to repost unknowing it was actually working.

Find a real good kk47 capsule and use a good tube transformer circuit.

FWIW I like the look and specs of the new E49.

Latest posts

Back