Tweed/Neve console, Group Buy?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan

Administrator
Admin
I was looking for a fun restoration project to get into and stumbled upon this beast: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWEED-NEVE-KELSO-20-8-MIXING-ANALOG-VINTAGE-CONSOLE-VERY-RARE-/180749838999?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1587aa97#ht_500wt_1413

A little more research turned up an old post from Geoff Tanner.  Geoff's response regarding the "Tweed" heritage (I hope he doesn't mind my reposting):
Tweed Audio was formed by ex Neve Kelso production manager Kirsch Mustapha (spelling?) in the mid 70's I believe. He built several small broadcast consoles in the style of Neves of that era and hired David Rees (of 2253 and 54 fame) to design the compressors for the console so there is a Neve influence.

Years later a guy brought a "Neve" console to me to ask advice about servicing and was a little heartbroken when I told him that he'd bought a Tweed, not a Neve. The Tweed company had long since folded but, at the time, I had Kirsch's phone number (he lives in Wales). He told me that he had no interest in supporting the consoles and had moved on to another career... computers, I believe.

So, who's in!?  ;D

That was kind of the same knee-jerk reaction that I had.  I wasn't sure if it was "title spam", but I guess it's a legit Neve...sibling?  Considering the neve-nostalgia/obsession, I'm curious to see what the winning bid comes to.

Neve set up a factory in Kelso in the 70s to manufacture modules for its mixers. The guy who ran this operation left and set up Tweed and sold mixers at much lower prices than Neve. How much of Neve's designs, if any, he stole I do not know but since Kelso only made modules I find it hard to believe he understood the subtleties of of Neve's overall topologies. Nevertheless he was quite successful for a time. So, I would be very hesitant about using the phrase 'Neve clone' in connection with any Tweed console.

Cheers

Ian

The mechanicals of the the Tweed broadcast consoles had a certain "homemade" charm and the module construction was inspired old school Neves and the like.

The electronics were quite reliable (my bench supply is a 30 year old Tweed unit) but a pain to maintain.  I really don't remember anything special about the consoles "sound".

After Tweed Kirsh formed KW in Wales...Who also made a few desks in the early days (I know where one is sitting in a store room but you don't want it!) and then moved on to ISDN systems for broadcasters via a 'mechano' Journalists cassette machine.  The last time I saw Kirsh was 5 or 6 years ago and I think he said he was 'retiring' and joining his wife in the Pensacola area.

tc

Just incase Tweed Audio Equipment topics appear on the forum again ...The Delta Lab  ebay sale in 2010/2011  of the first ever Recording Console built  in 1974 by Tweed in Kelso Scotland  for REL (Radio Edinburgh Ltd)  : is  of interest to me as I  wired the  desk and most of the modules....
I would be interested to know who the successful bidder was and what happened to the desk and or the units.??'... Anyone interested in gaining a more accurate picture of  company ..please google facebook : Tweed Audio - The History.
Regards.
Pete ( exc: Production Manager Tweed Audio Kelso Scotland)

Hi Pete, I assume you are aware of this one which has been sitting on ebay for a while?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWEED-8-CHANNEL-MIXER-CONSOLE-MADE-IN-SCOTLAND-BY-EX-NEVE-ENGINEERS-/252412115719?hash=item3ac4ef3b07:g:Lq0AAOSw6dNWSXGH

Is it all chips or a hybrid of IC/discrete?

The ebay link is of a BC 102 ( this Standard range of low profile desks used only a pcb and front panel as its modular construction, with a frame motherboard for busses)  Built around 1980/81 (this one obviously for the States as the supply is 110v. (Don't know why this should only be 8 channel when the standard frame took 10 channels ?)  IC/discretes as photos show. It was a cheaper range of equipment ,but little or no compromise on spec. Well worth the starting ebay price....I wonder what happened to it?
Pete

Back