My API Project

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno2000

This all started when I got a really good deal on some PC mount Grayhill switches.  I've always been a fan of the "In Your Face" API sound, so I set about to build some clones, using these switches.  I wanted the EQ to be the 4 band 550b version, but unfortunately, the switches were only 6 positions, so one frequency from each band had to go.  The boost / cut switching arrangement in the APIs is pretty clever, but requires one whole gang of the switch to determine which circuitry is affected.  My solution (since I had only 6 position switches) was to set the dB level with the rotary switch, and to select the boost or cut with a toggle switch.  Most of us from old school would find the frequency we wanted to cut by boosting it, then switch to cut.  My solution seems to address that, but I'll find out how well it works in practice.

Input from several local engineers was solicited, and many said that they really liked the filter that is in the 550 and 550a, so I added that as well. 

If I was going to build an EQ, I might as well add a mic pre, so the 312 circuit was added.  In "normal" mode, the chain is:  Input XF > DOA > Output XF > T-Pad > EQ (2 DOAs) > Output XF.  There is also a "Split" option that allows the mic pre and EQ to have their own independent ins and outs.

This is the same 7" x 2" format that I used for my Dual Mid 1084 project, and not the 500 / 51X series

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40610.msg503046

Once again, FPE did a great job on the front panels,

API01.jpg

The missing Green knob caps are on their way here, and there are 4 empty rack slots  ????????

Here's a top view.  Thanks to Jeff for the transformers, and to Gary for the DOAs.

API02.jpg

Here's a view with the "cap board" folded back and the top showing.  At the top left is Jeff's T-Pad with a 4th pot added concentrically for the mic pre gain.

API03.jpg

The EQ curves are spot on compared to the 550b.  There are several options on the board, like input transformer impedance select, blocking caps on the transformer primaries or not, and what type, and of course DOA selection.  We'll be listening to how they sound next week, trying all of the options, after I get their permanent power supply built.

More to come.

Best,
Bruno2000

love the diagonal resistors..................! oh and good job!!!!

btw what type of rack is that? I've been looking for an affordable (euro)rack format to make a custom rack with.

greetings,

Thomas

hobiesound said:
love the diagonal resistors..................! oh and good job!!!!

btw what type of rack is that? I've been looking for an affordable (euro)rack format to make a custom rack with.

greetings,

Thomas

Greetings Thomas,
The reason for the diagonal resistors is that they follow the very close together traces from the switches.
I'm not sure what kind of rack it is.  Two of them came out of a dumpster dive about 2 years ago.  One of my friends suggested they may be old Vector card cages, but all of the original hardware was metric.  I wish I could find some more!  Anybody out there recognize them?
Best,
Bruno2000

very nice...  a software engineers might ask: when are you going to port this to 500 series?  :)

One of my friends suggested they may be old Vector card cages, but all of the original hardware was metric.  I wish I could find some more!  Anybody out there recognize them?
Best,
Bruno2000

Hi Bruno
  Was on a quest for heat sinks in the Digikey catalog when I noticed the vector Electronics subracks,  Page 752 Part # 977-0131 they sure look like what you have.  Hope it helps.

BTW  are you going to be offering these EQ's?

Cheers
Kim

Thats some top dollar work!))) EQ to drool for... :D  did you end up selling any boards on the white market?
Love to get some boards if they can be made....or the files to produce them? a guy's gotta try!))
Best
Jay

Jay said:
Thats some top dollar work!))) EQ to drool for... :D  did you end up selling any boards on the white market?
Love to get some boards if they can be made....or the files to produce them? a guy's gotta try!))
Best
Jay

Thanks so much!  I am in the process of 1) investigating options for making these racks with the 7" x 2" front panel format available to you folks, and 2) offering some more mic pre / eq options.  Right now there's this one and the Dual Mid 1084.  There's a third one about to be prototyped, and a forth on the drawing board.  As you can tell, it's a pretty long process, but stay tuned.........

Latest posts

Back