Did myself a favour....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zayance

GDIY Supporter
White Market Member
I bought myself a Aoyue 968, mostly because of the Fume extraction feature, i had the rest, will see what to do with them.
But lately i was tottaly fedup of inhaling those solder fumes, nose stuffed etc...,  bothered me each time, i always tend
to blow a little air while soldering to take that away, and i didn't wanted to wear a Chemical suite as Samuel seems to do
when on his way to his solder station  ;D (if you remember that one?)
I believe most of you guys have nothing, or a simple Carbon filter fan, or those supper dupper fancy weller stuff kind of things, confined filter kind of thing (best i think if you're a company)
I had those fans and it was just too much f*ckin noise, and air was just blowed all around in the room, and so solder fume was chaotic and not very centered...
Had to take the fn really down on the board to make it happen....
Adding an extraction tube at the back would have worked better, but that would have been a lot of stuff....

Received the Aoyue yesterday, put it to use, there was not much about it on the web beside that old Hackaday review,
so i was concerned about the compressor noise, i like to have a little music background when working, and don't like factory noises...

Build quality is "ok" cheap plastic for the solder iron, but it's ok, i went for the old version of this Aoyue, because Hakko 936 tips
can be used for it, and i had a couple of spares so.... New Aoyue model has their tips for 20euros each  :eek:, and the station is double price....
I used Hakko's iron stand, because the Aoyue one, was not very adapted for the Iron + Fume extractor, but nothing too wrong with it...., just
a little clumsy when fitted back in....
Compressor doesn't do too much noise, wich is great, the only small noise that gets out of it is the pressure ball playing in the tube for getting to the top,
a little hit on the side, done, haha, reminds me of those old TV's...

The iron, heats quickly and is ok, fume extraction works good too, you have to stay a little after solering to get all that fume sucked out,
a quick movement after soldering will of course deviate the fumes and will just get back to your noise again, pressure is just enough for fumes so...
As said on that Hackaday review the extraction is made from the heatgun, soooo don't know much about that for the heatgun...
And i guess i'll eat it all back again if using that heatgun, i put this one facing in another room, but it's possible to make a fileterd box and insert the gun inside...
Filtering is poor, just a round carbon filter on the iron side, and this one get dirty pretty quick....
My plan is to make some kind of filtering cartridge a little bigger, that would simply be installed on the tube to have a little more filtering, not too much as we need that pressure
i have carbon filters in spare that was for the Fan, so would be a little better i think....

Anyway just wanted to write some lines about it, maybe some will find it usefull, maybe not.

EDIT: I got it for 130euros, not bad i think.... Will see how it will behave in time.

Hackaday review:

http://hackaday.com/2009/02/20/tools-aoyue-968-3-in-1-soldering-and-rework-station/

gyraf said:
Looks nice - where to get one?

Jakob E.

A German company distributes it named "Wiltec", 2 years garranty i think, not bad...

http://shop.wiltec.info/product_info.php/language/fr/info/p2995_AOYUE-968-3in1-Rework-Loet-Station.html

I bought one of there desoldering stations last year.
http://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/aoyue-474a-desoldering-station.html

Probably the best tool purchase i've ever made.

mrclunk said:
I bought one of there desoldering stations last year.
http://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/aoyue-474a-desoldering-station.html

Probably the best tool purchase i've ever made.

Yep got it also, great cheap tool, and again you can use the Hakko spare parts for it, better quality.....
Wiltec has it also....

EDIT: Hakko Spare parts fitting Aoyue 474,  Hakko part A1033 (large Ceramic paper filter), A1009 (small ceramic filter) and A1030 (spring filter.)

Yep still working good.
Need to clean the air connection once in a while, to allow better air flow., the fumes can block the way.
I don't use the hot air gun tough, don't know if it would be nice to inhale back all that.

I think i've seen a new version that has the desolder gun and the solder iron with fume extractor, that's actually a nice
combo, since you save a lot of space..., but can't tell from where the fumes will be extracted.

http://shop.wiltec.info/product_info.php/language/EN/info/p10258_AOYUE-701A---Repairing-Station-Entloetpumpe-mit-Loetkolben-Entloetstation.html

T.

Bringing this thread back to life cause I need to buy a desoldering station and a fume extractor (hopefully combined in one unit as I lack of space).

Being newbie in a way, I'm not sure what the right tool is  :)

I'm using a hakko fx-888 soldering station and ideally I would like to attach the absorption pipe (is this what is called?) on top of the tip of my hakko heating element.  I've been searching on the internet for possible solutions but I've reached the point where I'm totally confused...

Could you probably guys suggest some possible solutions? Would this tool or this be appropriate for my needs? I saw it was mentioned here before but I'm struggling to understand whether it can be used as a fume extractor and if a absorption pipe can be attached to my hakko.

Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back