Royer Mic Mod Questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hey Guys,

I'm a Newbie in these parts but have taken my time to read the board and find my way around before just 'launching in' with my first post.

I've never 'moded' a thing in my life but there is a first time for everything. My eye was caught by the Royer Mod in Tape Op for the MXL 2001 and ADK-51 Mics. I own the ADK-51 and want to Mod it. I'll be buying the kits from Mojave and use their PCB and parts.

I've read the Mic META and in it found before and after clips of 'Flatpicker's' MXL V93 but have been wondering if anyone has before and after clips they could share on either the 2001 or ADK-51.

And lastly for those that have done the Mod has it REALLY improved the sound, I don't expect it to sound like a Neumann but at least akin to say a Rode NTK/K2 etc.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Matt

I did the royer mod on an MXL2001, and it was a vast improvement. It's definitely worth doing. I didn't use the kit from Mojave, I did it all point to point.

Here's some pics:

http://www.shinybox.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_23&products_id=29

Regards

ju

Thanks Ju,

I checked out your site, nice pics. You don't happen to have any before and after samples of how the mic sounded? It is good to hear the mic improved.

Cheers

Matt

I'd have to do some up. Give me a bit, I'll see what I can do ( I've got another 2001 sitting here.) I also want to mess with the grill on this, so will do some before and after comparisons.

I lent this mic to a friend who was working on a record, it ended up working decent on his voice ( so happened the studios U47 was down, so they were experimenting with different mics). I'll post a sample when it comes out ( sometime this year).

Regards

ju

I've been doing some research on this topic as well and was wondering if anyone has done the royer mod with the mxl 2003 instead of a 2001. Are the layouts similar enough that the same mod can be done?

Thanks!

-Mike

The 2003 does not have the shield can like the 2001. If you want to build it in a 2003 make sure you get a transformer with shielding if it is not a humbucking style. I don't know if the board fits the 2003 well. I build my stuff with perf board.

If you build it use a good transformer like the 12:1 jensen

Latest posts

Back