Solid State Pultec...new pics...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiance

I've build like three different versions by now...however, I always wanted to build an Über version..one with original signal path & transformers, Elma rotary switches and of course Stereo...all crammed inside a 2 unit case.

As you can see in the top left corner...I added an array of dip switches so I can switch between:
Transformer in/DOA in, or even DOA>transformer in
Transformer out/DOA out
and all possible combinations.
I know, it would have been cool to have all these options on 1 rotary switch to make quick comparison possible. Thing is, though, this would have become too complicated and a 6 deck rotary was needed or even relays...to much of a hassle.

Also...spend all afternoon chasing hum which was around -100dB. Not too bad really, but a solid state device can be quieter.
What I had forgotten was that I had the gain resistors set at +10dB...so after all, the hum/noise specks are rather good :)

Attachments

• SSP1.jpg
    SSP1.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 703
wow, good job, must sound pretty nice.  What's the OPA? burrbrown opamp? 

Now those elmas.. that's determination!

mitsos said:
Now those elmas.. that's determination!

Yes it is!!  I can totally understand why these cost what they do when bought assembled with resistors (for example goldpoint)
It literally took me 1 full day per switch considering all the time it takes to calculate, search & match all resistors needed for a stereo Log rotary.

radiance said:
Small opamps are just for dc-servo. Big ones are Api 2520 and J-fet 992.

No front panel yet...
A! OPA = opamp? I thought it was the burrbrown code OPA604 for example.  I got it now!  good job dude.

Hank Dussen said:
Nice one!
I'm building something similar.
Where did you buy the bandwith knob?

I think I bought that over here from someone...
But those are not hard to find. It's a standard RCA knob...ebay..Leeds NY  etc.. 

Latest posts

Back