G7 Completed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have completed a slightly modified version of Jakob's Gyraf G7 mike. I have a little info on my little web page: http://users.adelphia.net/~thomasholley/index.htm

I am a clod with posting pictures here so Please go to the site.

By the way, thanks for all the help I received from so many of you.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Good job. The mic looks great! I think the copper works really well.
What type of mic is that next to it in the first picture?
Stewart

Very nice!!!!!!!

Something I do like is the use of a tube rectifier. Tubes have less PS B+ noise. You might want to add some "super caps" in the fil supply they do seem to help. I will look around on the web for some numbers the ones I own are were bought about 10 years ago NEC .033F at 5.5VDC.

I bought a bunch of UF4007s they should have less switching noise than 1N400x's but a tube should still be better.

The mike next to mine is my friend's ribbon mike. I will ask what brand. I know he had to reset the ribbon in it when he bought it and it sounds great.

The heater supply is very quiet with almost no ripple. I will measure it when (if) I get my mike back. I could go over to the studio and measure it.

Thomas

Nice, the copper is very different, yet cool looking. So the big question is, how does it sound!??!

The best thing I can say about how it sounds is that I can't get my friend to give it back. He wants to keep it in his studio as a main vocal mike.

Thanks for the kind replies. The wood in the power supply is some scrap end pieces of cherry I had left over from some other projects. Just enough for a little box.

Copper is definately not a pretty as brass but for my first attempt I went cheap. Copper can be polished up very nice though and coated with some clear lacquer to make it last.

I made a ribbon mike but my hands are not steady enough to cut the thin material for the ribbon. I have to wait for my neice to come visit so I can ribbon it.

Ward

How did that capsule work out. The avatar looks good. Tim you have good eyes.

Gus

Back