EZ1084EQ v2 boards ••• NEW BATCH COMING !!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluzzi

NEW BOARDS COMING
NEED TO KNOW HOW MUCH INTEREST THERE IS FOR NEW BATCH

PLEASE USE [email protected] TO CONTACT ME

A few additions on v2 to make build easier to build as well as new output attenuation option and some other goodies. I just finished testing the prototype and it sounds as gloriously creamy as always. I have a them in stock that can ship immediately. In the meantime do a search for EZ1084EQ and read up on this project if you don't know about it.

It is a PCB of the EQ section only of the classic NEVE 1084 EQ. It adds some extras such as relay bypass. There are two bypasses, one is as original which allows the audio to still pass through the XFRs and active circuit paths. The second relay is a true bypass which routes the audio from line in to line out (straight wiring in to wire out).

There is also the option to leave out the LP Filter.

The input XFR now mounts on a supplied pcb, to the main pcb for even easier and foolproof build.

The PCB comes with the BOM as well as a detailed Build Guide. This is a project even beginners can easily accomplish. Success rate for all sold boards has been 100%.

Contact me at [email protected] for the PCB.

For cases see the following:

Dan's front panels and cases.. new panels for Gustav's projects, 1U CLX-VU panel

Collective Cases - PSU cases, ez1073, CLX cases and PCB's.

As many of you know I'm not a great salesman or promoter. I do projects out of love and take great care in the detail and wanted this project to stand out and mostly let newcomers or experts alike have easy success at building a great piece of gear that they could actually use in a professional recording. So I collected some of the feedback I've had from builders. So I'll let others speak as to quality etc..

Here are some testimonials:

By Martin Bak :

The EZ1084 is my go-to EQ for drums and guitars. What I love about the EQ is the character that it imparts and the flexibility of frequency curves. I find myself turning to it for all of the elements in a mix that need to be smoothed out especially in the mid range, and it does exactly what what my ears want it to do.

-Martin Bak of SLR Studios (The Tea Party, Ghosts of August, Richy Nix)

Here is what Siegfried Meier had to say :

We recently built up a pair of Bluzzi’s 1084 clone EQ’s, and were simply thrilled with the result.

It took a lot longer than expected to get started on them, as things are always quite busy in the studio.
The parts and chassis sat here for nearly 2 years sadly...but, one day I began.

The documentation was incredibly easy to read and follow, and literally,
the 2 units were completely put together in 2 days, from beginning to end.
There was no problems with hum (external PSU is what we went with) or any other electrical faults.

The board is massive, super heavy duty and really easy to solder together.
The only feel factor I’m not stoked on is the Bourns pots for gains - which are super high quality, no doubt.
They just don’t have a center detent, which can be a good thing and a bad thing,
and are very easy to accidentally hit and move out of position. Otherwise, the Grayhills are as pro as it gets.

Sonically, the EQ’s are every bit as good as any Neve EQ we’ve used.
I especially like the fact that the 2 different bypass modes allow us to truly bypass the unit,
or simply allow the gains section to pass through - it makes a difference tonally, big time.

Beefy, meaty and real. Can’t wait to build up several more!!

Siegfried Meier
Beach Road Studios

By Chris Chetland :

Just letting you know that I finally got the 2x EZ1084's completed.
I've used them on a couple of projects and I'm really impressed with the sound : )
They sit equally alongside my Manley, API and Sontec EQs [and better than my SSL or chameleons].
I was in all honesty quite surprised that they sounded as good as they do.
I sent some tracks that they were used on to a friend who uses a 1073 desk regularly and he was really impressed.
So thanks for all your hard work and skill in creating such a good sounding EQ.
You rule.
Chris

By Robert Lucas :

Hi Jim I'm really pleased with the EQ... and I want to make sure that I communicate very well what I think is so good about it!
I find that I can sculpt an instrument or voice quickly and easily with the controls, and dial in the sound I'm looking for.
The high pass is awesome and I find the low pass very beneficial as well. Each section has a bit of its own character...
Just running through it gives a sound that you only get running through the "iron" of a real piece of class a gear.
It is all I had hoped and will be building another very soon.

Jim thanks for all your help and follow through with me on the build!

By Ryan Copt :

I finally got both of my EZ1084s fired up and running last week. They are truly incredible. Thank you so much for this project. I am in love!

Another studio that my company owns has some of the BAE 1084s racked up, and I actually prefer the sound of yours.
The filters on yours have a resonance to them that I don't hear in the BAEs that I was a little unsure of at first, but in use, I actually like it quite a bit.
Yours are also MUCH cleaner sounding. Even with the gain switch at maximum, your EQs are nearly silent!

I love the high and mid sections even on individual tracks. The low frequency section is just so sweet, it really stands out as the major talking point.
I love the kind of sculpting you can do by cranking the filters "too far" in either direction and then boosting the respective EQ stage to compensate.
Especially with the LPF and LF section, you can shelf off all of the "mud" and then boost the LF section to get a very weighty sound without excess garbage.
This, so far, is my favorite use for these.

It's a miracle worker on bass and electric guitar, especially when using ribbon mics.

This was also a life saver for me on a poorly recorded kick drum I had to mix.
The sheer power in these things let me strong-arm it into an entirely different sound altogether.
Usually, I would have had a plug-in chain a mile long that still wouldn't have sounded as good at the end of the day.

As soon as I can scrounge up the cash, I will definitely be ordering more boards from you.

The HPF + LF section combinations alone are more than worth the build costs.

This has easily been my favorite DIY project yet both because of the sound of the end product -
and the overall ease of construction with your comprehensive build guide.
I'm certain that these will see a LOT of use for a long time.

Again, I thank you for providing this project and your great support. I look forward to further dealings with you in the future.

By Nobru :

Hi Jim; no noise, no hum, no pop, no smoke but that great 84 's sound!!!
Many thanks.
This Eq is dope, easy to build and it sounds just wonderfull. Plugged on every mix I do.

By coffeeman :

Just to let you know that I have finally finished both of my EZ1084's and they sound sublime!!!
The self noise is sitting at around -120dB ... quieter than some of my other bought pro equipment (API 550B, Cranesong Ibis).

Thanks for this great project and now I need to see if I have the time to build another pair of these!!

Cheers. Craig.

By dandeurloo :

The eq's are some of the easier I have done. Partly because the AML kit, TAW caps kit and a the BOM make tracking down parts easy.
Plus good support and its pretty straight forward. They sound great as well.

By Martin Dubka :

Sounds great by the way! Destroys the Waves V-Series! A/B'ing them
now... no contest..

I have more comments but I'll compile them into a PDF and post a link to download.

Cheers to all.

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Jim,  Do you still have some of those Fanstastic EQ Boards,
I'm keen  for a few more , a Friend of mine heard them in action and he would like a pair as well,
Let me know,  :)
Dan,

finally getting around to this project. was wondering if anyone made a case for using this as the whole channel with mic pre?
one with polarity, 48v, pad etc....

no, Martin makes a separate board for use with this. the 1290LE.

Was debating getting it, but I already have two normal 1290's I haven't put in a case yet, so I'm deciding whether to get two more regular ones and make a four channel pre, or get two of the smaller 1290LE boards to put in the 1084 channels. But if I'll lose the polarity and such, then I'll probably keep them separate.

Although Martin did make some 1290LE boards for the EZ1084EQ he advised me that he would not make another run. He may have a few left still.

I've got the go ahead from Martin to design my own 1290LE. I'm getting on that as soon as I finish some other thing first.

So I will be providing a 1290LE board to retrofit into the 1084. It will have polarity, pad and 48v switch. If you think of any other features you would like let me know.

Cheers

Jim

I wonder if Dandeurloo would add that to his cases.... I tried comparing that with DDT's cases but his white market thread is gone  :eek:

Good news though :) I think I'd like to have it all in one. Would make taking to another studio a lot easier, and also one power supply :)

P.S. It would be nice to have all that, but the front panel real estate looks a little tight. Is trim fader out of the question then?

kpearsall said:
P.S. It would be nice to have all that, but the front panel real estate looks a little tight. Is trim fader out of the question then?

Well you won't be able to use the 1RU panel. It will take a 2RU at least to fit in the preamp. There will be an output fader but are you saying a trim for the mike pre? I can put that in too.

Cheers

Jim

I was referring to the output fader :) There's a nice place for bass and acoustic guitar where the signal JUST STARTS to clip, and i'd like to be able to turn it down before it hits the daw, without running it into another piece of gear.

two rack spaces might be kind of hard. I'm building two units :( it might make more sense to use a two rack space case for 4 preamps, and have single spaces for both EQs. I'll have to think about that.

The output fader is easy to do. You just have to remove 1 resistor and break/scratch 1 trace and solder a potentiometer to 3 points.

You could use a 3RU case to install 2 units in and put the mike pres and output trims in the center between both units. On a 1RU there is space on the panel for the output trim. The preamp takes up too much space to include in the 1RU. One of the reason the EZ1084EQ is extremely quiet is I paid special attention to grounding and RF issues. The cost sometimes is less tight spacing.

Are you saying build 4 1290LE mike pres or 4  EZ1290 mike pres?

Cheers

Jim

kpearsall said:
I was referring to the output fader :) There's a nice place for bass and acoustic guitar where the signal JUST STARTS to clip, and i'd like to be able to turn it down before it hits the daw, without running it into another piece of gear.

two rack spaces might be kind of hard. I'm building two units :( it might make more sense to use a two rack space case for 4 preamps, and have single spaces for both EQs. I'll have to think about that.

Hi Bluzzi,

Do you have an estimate total cost for build the EQ without the cost of the case?

Cheers,

Manu

well, current situation is, I have two full EZ1290's and two EZ1084's, I'm either gonna get two more 1290's and make a 2u 4 channel preamp, and two stand alone EQ's, Or if I think it will work OK, just the 1u two channel 1290 and two full 1084 channel strips with the LE boards for pre.

Damn choices  ;D

kpearsall said:
well, current situation is, I have two full EZ1290's and two EZ1084's, I'm either gonna get two more 1290's and make a 2u 4 channel preamp, and two stand alone EQ's, Or if I think it will work OK, just the 1u two channel 1290 and two full 1084 channel strips with the LE boards for pre.

Damn choices  ;D

If you are planning on using the mike pres with the EQ section at same time then there is a small advantage with the 1290LE/EZ1084EQ combo. Otherwise just go with the EZ1290 and plug them into the EQ if you need to. You will get more noise and more XFR saturation but not in a huge way necessarily (depending on your taste).

The 1290LE saves you on some components, the output XFR being the costliest. Also a 2RU case is probably very close in price to a 1RU.

Damn choices indeed!  :(

Cheers

Jim

I'm actually leaning towards the LE's when they are available. Forgot about not needing the extra transformer. when do you think they would be available?

Hey Jim, i received the boards. The quality of them is excellent. I'll be back to post my progress shortly. Thanks

Latest posts

Back