braeden's Front Panel Designs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

braeden

In this thread you'll be able to find some of the Front Panel Express files that I've designed for various projects. I hope to have a few more layouts done soon enough.
I figure I've been taking up too much thread space in project specific topics recently, so I've decided to put all of my creations in here.

In the future you should be able to find EzTubeMixer, GSSL, 1176 and Gyraf G9 front panels (to name a few) as well as bits and pieces for creating your own front panels (e.g. HPGL files, Illustrator layouts)

H69 & Pultec

Bt71GC7.jpg

Pultec.fpd
http://braeden-fpd.googlecode.com/files/Pultec.fpd

These panels are for Ian's EzTubeMixer project. They're not usually this ugly, the colours are just to show what can be modified and where.
The HPGL I designed allows you to manipulate the colour scheme for various parts of the panel in whatever way you want within the limitations of the software/manufacturing process.

rQLxdux.jpg

Thanks to Ian for the pictures

Front Panel/PSU Icons

CvC2kyy.png

28th February 2013 'Audicons'
http://braeden-fpd.googlecode.com/files/icons-28022013-nosrc.zip

If you have any requests that aren't already in the image above let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Braeden

Note: These designs may not have been tested in the 'real world', always test and measure clearances.
Most of the panels are designed for 18mm and 12mm knobs

Attachments

• H69.txt
    35.5 KB · Views: 54
Hi Braeden,

I am happy to host all these files for you. PM me your email address to discuss details.

Edit: or better still, get yourself a free cloud storage area, e.g dropbox, and put them in there. Most allow you to make selected files publicly readable.

Cheers

Ian

The original post has been updated with a new GSSL layout that I've designed. It uses Jakob's Gyraf Audio logo so I won't make the FPD until he has approved the use of his logo.

ruffrecords said:
Hi Braeden,

I am happy to host all these files for you. PM me your email address to discuss details.

Edit: or better still, get yourself a free cloud storage area, e.g dropbox, and put them in there. Most allow you to make selected files publicly readable.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian. I may be getting permanent hosting somewhere so that will hopefully solve all my problems in one go.

Braeden

braeden said:
This is a front panel I drew up for Ian's EzTubeMixer project (and specifically the H69 variant). Without infill (colours) it comes to around $61/panel excl. shipping costs (where as Ian's original design is around $71.95). The HPGL I designed allows you to manipulate the colour scheme for various parts of the panel in whatever way you want within the limitations of the software/manufacturing process.

Earlier this evening I decided to abandon making my own panels for my 4:2 mixer after sticking a needle file right through my thumb nail whilst filing out the push buttons slot!!

So I did a cost comparison of my and your H69 panels. Both in black with white infill.

Mine came to 60.21 Euros and yours came to 71.60 Euros which is almost exactly the other way round to what you found. Yours came to 51.22 Euros without infill which does not quite tie up with the present exchange rate (should be around 46 Euros). There seems to be a bit of an anomaly here but I am not sure what it is. Am I right in thinking Schaeffer has a manufacturing plant in the US??

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
braeden said:
This is a front panel I drew up for Ian's EzTubeMixer project (and specifically the H69 variant). Without infill (colours) it comes to around $61/panel excl. shipping costs (where as Ian's original design is around $71.95). The HPGL I designed allows you to manipulate the colour scheme for various parts of the panel in whatever way you want within the limitations of the software/manufacturing process.

Earlier this evening I decided to abandon making my own panels for my 4:2 mixer after sticking a needle file right through my thumb nail whilst filing out the push buttons slot!!

So I did a cost comparison of my and your H69 panels. Both in black with white infill.

Mine came to 60.21 Euros and yours came to 71.60 Euros which is almost exactly the other way round to what you found. Yours came to 51.22 Euros without infill which does not quite tie up with the present exchange rate (should be around 46 Euros). There seems to be a bit of an anomaly here but I am not sure what it is. Am I right in thinking Schaeffer has a manufacturing plant in the US??

Cheers

Ian

Not good! I became frustrated with hand drilling my own front panels a long time ago. It just didn't make sense to spend hundreds of dollars on a project only to have an ugly botched looking front panel which I'll have to stare at for the rest of it's life  :-\

Schaeffer is the Front Panel Express equivalent in Germany, Front Panel Express is the US manufacturing plant. The software is supplied by Schaeffer however.

As for the prices, you are indeed correct. It must have been late. There is a $13 (USD) difference between the two panels (mine being the more expensive option) when both are compared with the same finish (e.g. black anodised aluminium/white infill). I don't believe the white infill is really necessary though unless you really want the text to have that nice clean finish, it is however perfectly visible otherwise.

I tried to make it so everyone could do whatever they wanted with the panels, but obviously the more options you specify the more the price.

I personally enjoy having something that reflects the quality of the work inside and out, and paying a little bit more doesn't really faze me.

Ian, If you wish to take the FPD route, you might even want to ask for a quote from the guys at NRG CNC (http://www.frontpanels.de).
The quality of their work is on the same level as the Front Panel Express guys, I'm not sure whether they do infill colours (other than white) though.

Braeden

Edit: By the way, I am happy for you to mirror the H69 FPD's and any other's I come up with on your site if you wish to

braeden said:
Ian, If you wish to take the FPD route, you might even want to ask for a quote from the guys at NRG CNC (http://www.frontpanels.de).
The quality of their work is on the same level as the Front Panel Express guys, I'm not sure whether they do infill colours (other than white) though.

It's only one guy who's doing all the work (Frank Röllen) :) And yes, he can do the infills in many different colours.

I just sent a email to front panels.de to ask for a quote. The file i sent was Ian's version of the pultec 3 band but still it might give us a ball park idea. I also contacted a local company here in Montréal that is very cheap but the letter engraving it of poor quality, so i'm considering ordering a blank panel with the wholes and the find a solution for the lettering...the price is around 22$ for the panel with wholes...

It would reduce the cost significantly if we ordered panels as a group but not everyone has the same choice of eq and format(3u vs 6u).

@ Ian i'm sorry to ear about the accident...

anjing said:
I just sent a email to front panels.de to ask for a quote. The file i sent was Ian's version of the pultec 3 band but still it might give us a ball park idea.

I just did much the same thing but I emailed him about the H69 layout by Braeden. I asked for a quote with white infill and a blue anodised aluminium. It came to just over 50 Euros each. Basically he is 30% cheaper than Schaeffer.  I got a very friendly email from him which pointed out some possible problems with the panels design. I have ordered two H69 panels from him. I will let you know how good they are.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
anjing said:
I just sent a email to front panels.de to ask for a quote. The file i sent was Ian's version of the pultec 3 band but still it might give us a ball park idea.

I just did much the same thing but I emailed him about the H69 layout by Braeden. I asked for a quote with white infill and a blue anodised aluminium. It came to just over 50 Euros each. Basically he is 30% cheaper than Schaeffer.  I got a very friendly email from him which pointed out some possible problems with the panels design. I have ordered two H69 panels from him. I will let you know how good they are.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,
If you can let me know what potential problems there may be with the layout I'd be happy to fix it

Best of luck with the panels,
Braeden

braeden said:
Hi Ian,
If you can let me know what potential problems there may be with the layout I'd be happy to fix it

Best of luck with the panels,
Braeden

Frank made a couple of comments. One was about the 10mm holes for the switches. He was just checking I had allowed some clearance. The switch thread is 3/8 inch diameter which is just under 9.6mm so a10mm hole should give plenty of clearance. I also mentioned the pot and switch holes and the clearances I had allowed.

His other comment was about the push button slot. He suggested adding a 1mm hole in each corner to ease the buttons into the slot. Width wise it should be OK as the buttons are 5.5mm wide and I made the slot 6.5mm wide. The only change I made recently was to change the slot height from 40mm to 42mm high. I have ordered 2 panels from Frank so I should soon know if the slot looks OK.

Cheers

Ian

The thread has been updated with a link to a zip file containing the PLT (HPGL) files

Keep in mind that these are beta files, I can't assure 100% quality on a 'beta run' but this is just me covering my ass. I haven't done anything different with these icons than with panels I have spent a hundred dollars or more on. The quality should still be there.

I hope you guys can find some use for these icons. If there is something missing let me know, I'm happy to help where I can.

Thanks,
Braeden

P.s. I am in the process of drawing up Ian's Pultec design in FrontDesign, I am also creating a Gyraf Pultec FPD. It has the same kinda styling as the original Pultec but it's a little different I guess ;-)

Editedit: There's a screenshot of Ian's Pultec in the first post... I'm still running through it to make sure everything is perfect but that'll give you an idea. The holes just right of the Grayhill's have been moved slightly to accommodate the new layout (so you'll have to check if this layout works for you)

Thanks Ian, be sure to take some nice photos of the panels when they arrive. I'd love to see how they turned out as I'm considering Frank for a future project.

Cheers,
Braeden

Edit: Thread has been updated with the EQP1A variant for Ian's EzTubeMixer

Thanks for doing the EQP1A layout. I have a couple of tweaks you might like to consider. The low boost and cut are both shelving types so it might be better to use a different symbol than the bell response one used at present. Similarly, the high cut is also shelving rather than a bell shaped response. All the others are bell shaped and are OK.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Thanks for doing the EQP1A layout. I have a couple of tweaks you might like to consider. The low boost and cut are both shelving types so it might be better to use a different symbol than the bell response one used at present. Similarly, the high cut is also shelving rather than a bell shaped response. All the others are bell shaped and are OK.

Cheers

Ian

No problem, I'll fix it ASAP ;)

Latest posts

Back