Various DI tests

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irfrench

Hi all,

After a few recent builds I wanted to get a feel for how each unit sounds so I quickly whipped up a DI 'test' for my reference.  I'd also mentioned on each thread that I would post samples - so here we are:

The units:

• GIX-51x
  • Sound Skulptor MP573
  • SRPP Valve DI (ruffrecords)
  • Alembic F2b into SRPP

note:  The SRPP and Alembic share a 'case'.  I say 'case' - I mean are near each other in a similar space with untidy - AC hum susceptible - wiring.  #justsayin

The material:

• Bass guitar - DIY J-bass

The method:

• Bass guitar into Digidelay set to loop mode, volume on max so it was easy to reset if knocked - I don't have a looper pedal so apologies for the short loop (you'll be bored of it as quick as I was!)
  • Digidelay into Paul Cochrane - Timmy clone.  Normally in bypass ('true' bypass FYI) but when is use - used as a clean boost
  • 'Timmy' into test unit
  • Input levels adjusted for approx -15dBFS
  • All samples normalised to -12dBFS to expose any natural compression and remove louder=better

I have uploaded all the files to Google Drive:  https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bx2bMNFdYu3YWEZYREtnSkEzQUk/edit?usp=sharing

It may be easier to download them all and whack them into your DAW of choice for easy comparison.  They are kind-sorta-not zero'd (they're pretty close).

I never know what people want to hear or gain from these so I just did what I thought would be useful for me.

Hope it is actually of use!??

Ian.
:eek:

you know that was Bonzos favorite song to do,

his favorite musician was James Brown,

listen to the Crunge, it has the I Feel Good riff workin,

Back