Why so much modding of the Studio Projects C1?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pip

I have often wondered why the SP C1 mic is so modded. It gives the impression to others that the mic is of questionable sonic quality. I must take exception to this.

I own a way to much amount of mics, have used most of the available mics out there at one time or other and have done some really nice work with all of the available kit both bad and good (OK ENOUGH HORN TOOTING JEEZ).

The point is SP C1 mics are some of my favorite affordable mics out there. If I see them in the mic locker I know what I am going to get as they are very consistant unit to unit and I can feel that the recordings will be of good quality. I use my own as go to overheads when a more modern drum sound is the right direction. They also do a good job on most other sources. Vocals are of course voice specific but if these where all I had I would not sit there and fret I would just EQ a bit more and pay more attention to Compressor and Pre if possible.

I just needed to say something as it seemed as though, at times, these mics were being modified more because of there, shall I say, perceived and promoted lower class caste quality flaws, rather than they are a quality donor option.

Pip said:
I have often wondered why the SP C1 mic is so modded. It gives the impression to others that the mic is of questionable sonic quality. I must take exception to this.

I own a way to much amount of mics, have used most of the available mics out there at one time or other and have done some really nice work with all of the available kit both bad and good (OK ENOUGH HORN TOOTING JEEZ).

The point is SP C1 mics are some of my favorite affordable mics out there. If I see them in the mic locker I know what I am going to get as they are very consistant unit to unit and I can feel that the recordings will be of good quality. I use my own as go to overheads when a more modern drum sound is the right direction. They also do a good job on most other sources. Vocals are of course voice specific but if these where all I had I would not sit there and fret I would just EQ a bit more and pay more attention to Compressor and Pre if possible.

I just needed to say something as it seemed as though, at times, these mics were being modified more because of there, shall I say, perceived and promoted lower class caste quality flaws, rather than they are a quality donor option.
C1 is quite easy to mod, with easily accessible and replaceable parts. Some parts are identified as of insufficient quality by popular gullibility. It has almost nothing to do with improving objective performance.

I have a early C1 without any switches.  I recently installed almost all the stock parts I changed out in the past.  I did leave in the capsule to gate cap I changed.

I don't think you hear the change from.1uf coupling caps to larger.  The .1uf seem to be fine and better for low frequency overload issues.

The best adjustment was when I added a cap from source to drain some time ago. I have not posted about this until I saw other people figure this simple adjustment out.

Also check the Yahoo microphone group.

Gus said:
The best adjustment was when I added a cap from source to drain some time ago. I have not posted about this until I saw other people figure this simple adjustment out.
This has the effect of creating a 1st-order Low-Pass filter, identical to the effect created by C20 & 21.
The cap between drain and source adds with factor 2 to C20 & C21. To sum up, 500pF between D and S has the same effect as two 1nF in C20 & 21 positions.
RFI rejection is not as good though.

Latest posts

Back