1u 500 / 51x rack case

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmp

Here is an easy DIY project to rack 500 and 51x modules in a 1U case.
I made these small PCBs awhile ago and Dan Deurloo (collectivecases.com) designed 1U cases with both 2 and 3 unit front panels. He also designed the brackets to support the PCBs.
I think Dan will be selling everything as a kit as I sent him a bunch of PCBs.
Only takes a few hours to build at the most.

Attachments

• DSCN1020.JPG
    DSCN1020.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 318
The edge connector is available from Classic API

Attachments

• DSCN1013.JPG
    DSCN1013.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 242
I'm interested! Would also want to know about the power supply. Hopefully it's included within the 1RU enclosure?

I built this one up using an external psu, but there would be plenty of space inside for a psu. Any of the usual suspects that fit in a 1U case would work, jlm etc.
I do plan to put in a psu when I get the time.

Hella cool!

I remember Chunger was looking for a simlar racking option back in 2010.

Most of the time I've thought, "I wish someone made... [fill in the blank,]  a.) german broadcast repros in 500 series, b.) a C12 clone project, c.) an 1176 for 500-series... etc.  if you wait long enough, they eventually appear.  Or... "great minds think alike" or something like that.

Excellent idea dmp! Glad to see someone design something like this for those of us that may only need two or three modules, or in addition to a 500 or 51x rack. Good stuff!

First time posting here. I just wanted to say thanks to Dan for hooking me up with his awesome Power supply, filter board, and 3x500 series single rack case. I put together a channel strip using a capi 312, tb550 and a Laz 525.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 109
HI I'M PLANNING TO BUILD A RACK LIKE THIS , CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT DID YOU PUT ON THE GRD A/B PADS , HARD TO TELL BY JUST LOOK ON THE PIC YOU'VE POSTED , THANX

Wasn't meant funny.

You are talking about this PCB?
DMP_500_pcbs.jpg

Those GND A/B Pads look like jumpers for the input and output XLRs, and it looks like position A is connected to pin5 of the Edac Connector, and Position B to pin1.
To make it short: your choice to jumper input and output XLRs to either chassis or audio ground.

Disclaimer: this is just from looking at the PCB, I don't have them here to measure it out or do have any further documentation

That's exactly what I meant
ok so how do i make the right choice?
i have read in the forum that most of time you just need to jumper pad B
please can you give me more details
thanX

We wouldn't need jumpers if there is only one right choice, don't we.
Jumper to pad B. If your module or environment doesn't like it jumper to pad A.

09044-04-L.jpg

With a few pennies invested in jumpers instead of just doing a solder bridge it is done in seconds

MY NEW 2 SPACE RACK THAT I'VE BUILD FOR MY CAPI VP28, THANKS TO DAN & JEFF FOR THE PARTS

Attachments

• 500-SERIES-RACK.jpg
    500-SERIES-RACK.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 60
Back