Phantom question using available parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan Hayward

Just putting together a mic-amp PSU, I bought this neat transformer from canford which has a 44 volt winding which I get a healthy 63V rectified (half wave)output from.
I'm using a 2200/63V cap as the main reservoir with3x 18v zeners and a resistor in series to get 50 V or so at the junction of zeners and resistor.
Can anybody envisage any serious problems with;
1. running a cap on its voltage rating (its a big phillips thing with a rubber sock round it at the mo.)
2. the zener arrangement producing noise or current problems (I'll put another smoothing cap near the mic sockets)

You could put a couple of 1N4001 diodes in series to the cap to knock it down a few volts in case of power line fluactions. Caps are better nowdays, so the usual 150% safety factor is not really a must. Plus, there is very little ripple current in a phantom suply becuase of the lower current draw.

I just use a simple voltage divider circuit for phantom:

phantom_supply.jpg

If you have a 470/100v or 220/100v cap - you can do one of Bo's designs...

http://web.telia.com/~u31617586/#48%20volts%20phantom%20power%20supply

I built the TL783 variant and get 44.1 volts out of it

[quote author="uk03878"]I built the TL783 variant and get 44.1 volts out of it[/quote]

That seems to suggest your 3K resistor is on the low side... Put a 500 Ohm trimpot in series with the 3K resistor and adjust until you get 48V.

Of course, 44V will probably work with most mics...

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="uk03878"]I built the TL783 variant and get 44.1 volts out of it[/quote]

That seems to suggest your 3K resistor is on the low side... Put a 500 Ohm trimpot in series with the 3K resistor and adjust until you get 48V.

Of course, 44V will probably work with most mics...

Peace,
Al.[/quote]
Many thanks - your'e probably very right on that - the 3k resistor is a big old one I picked up from my local dodgy electronic component shop

Back