steak juice dripped into my mackie (bloodymackie pic inside)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Our Religion

Don't ask how....but I accidentally dripped some steak juice into my mackie 1604.....while it was on. Nothing blew up, no smoke and I didn't notice anything for, perhaps, 30 minutes. I then noticed small remnants of the offending liquid around the pan pots of channels 14, 15 and 16.

Upon further investigation........flickering LEDs and the faint smell of fried electronics. I, of course, immediately unplugged the wounded device.

I now have the PCB pulled out and am looking at an awful mess. It looks like I'll have to obviously replace some components.....a couple of chips, some pots, some small elec caps, some poly caps, some SMT resistors and some pushbuttons are coated with a bubbly sticky brown goo. The damage is confined to the area around the pan pots of the 3 channels.

Any tips on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Ric

That's funny, I pissed on my 1604 and it didn't hurt anything!

Thanks for the reminder: Always cook studio steaks well done for less juice!
:grin:
Was it a rib eye, top , or New York?
:cool:
Medium rare?
:razz:
Good excuse to switch over to a Neve !
:wink:
Too much fun!
:green:

heres what you do....

smack it with a 10 pound sledge...

put the pieces in a box... be sure to insure it for replacement value and send it to a friend... then put in the claim...

I just got done watching the seinfeld episode where kramar did this with jerrys setero :green:

I had a cat piss on my A/DA Flanger one time. There is a recess on the top where the knobs sit, a perfect piss trap. This was an old cat with a kidney problem, and I swear, it etched right thru the chips, the board, I mean it was like battery acid hit the darn thing!
And the reissue , well, you know that story...

cj - hahahaha

Rib eye, bloody as hell. It was good, too. At least I enjoyed it before I realized what I'd done. :grin:

I'll try and post a pic a little later.

Oh, well......a little unplanned DIY...hehe.

put the pieces in a box... be sure to insure it for replacement value and send it to a friend... then put in the claim...

That's it! problem solved! Let's see.....what can I build with the replacement cost of a mackie? hmmmmm........ :evil:

That's not the way to beef it up... :green: :razz:

Okay, no more jokes. The thing is toast, I mean cocked.. aw shite..
:? :cool:

You need to take it apart completely and clean just about every thing. If the pots are open, replace them. Same thing with switches. Tedious work.

Never had a cat problem (only at this board) but I, _myself_, dropped a cup of coffee down into a nice ol' vintage B&O ribbon mics. Cracked the ribbon. Stupid fuck.

Not to mince words, this is a meaty problem, and it will test out your chops with some cleaning solvent. Better do it soon or the mixer won't be worth a sausage. (Sorry for being a ham). You may need some water/detergent solution first to really clean it, followed by clear water then lots of iso alcohol to finish it off and to get the water out. Careful with the water though, you don't want to butcher it.

Groovy gravy....

Acetone works wonders with circuit boards.. cleans them quickly, and evaporates with no residue as long as you get ALL of what ever it is off with it, but be sure to use pure acetone, not nail polish remover.

oh and anything tomato based has acid in it and WILL eat through your copper traces so get it up quickly. hell, use ketchup a little lemon juice and some salt(pretty much steak sauce..) to clean copper/brass/bronze surfaces like new. who needs fancy cleaners?

good luck!

Acetone would be good for the greasy bits I guess but may strip paint from components.
However, the gravy is going to contain some salt and other bits that have low solubility in acetone. I would try distilled water.

A tip about cleaning the knobs once you're through with the guts: I tore apart my old 1202 which had seen better days. There was nothing wrong electrically but I just wanted to give everything a nice cleaning. I put the knobs in an ultrasonic cleaner filled with a surfactant. That worked fine to remove years of finger sludge. I set them out to dry.

Then I got impatient and threw them in a paper towel and into a microwave. They got dry quickly alright. Most of them survived but about 12 of them were so warped they wouldn't fit back on the shafts!

Luckily Mackie still stocks the knobs - even the colors match.

...being a Mackie it will probably sound better than before
What did they do that finally turned the world against them? I'll bet more than a few people here bought them once and thought they were great. I still like mine - of course it's a pre-VLZ, XDR, blah blah... vintage Mackie.

Dishsoap and water works well. Try to use sunlite dishsoap it seems to leave little behind. I have hosed down tube amps in my driveway after I hit them with bug spray and soap.

Coffee is bad, soda next, beer has carbonic acid, Water a hose some soap and a nail brush work wonders.

You should seee the look in peoples eyes when I clean an effect petal after someone poured a drink or beer in it. Sink, gloves, brush, soap and water, place it in the sun with a fan.

[quote author="tony dB"]go vegan! and save yourself the trouble :green:[/quote]

Or you could just not eat steak over your recording equipment??? I don't think we need to get crazy (cough cough vegan cough). :green: :green:

"The sound is in the steak juice!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Try a Top Sirloin next time. Less acidic. More hormones for better low end!
:grin: :razz: :oops:

You guys are f***'in cracking me up. Really...... :green:

Thanks for the ideas.....I'm starting to see a blurry plan come into focus.

I'm not real thrilled with having to spend DIY time on this smackie, but the thrift in me just won't let me throw it in the garbage. I only use it for monitoring.....really....I swear. :wink:

Back