DIY81 / 1081 parts list thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadwould

Hi All. i am compiling a master excel spreadsheet for the parts list for the 1081 project.

I will be making the master list with part numbers from Digikey and Mouser primarily. but may use others if necesarry

When i have finished the master spreadsheet it will be posted here. (someone will have to host it as i am having a terrible time getting my webspace sorted)

I have found conflicting things from the varuois sources available.

The original schematic for the 312 shows 4m7 resistors a plenty, however these seem to be listed as 6m8 on the Parts Lisrt Rev 3 found on VintageDesigns.

On that list is also various resistor tolerances and wattages.

Should I use the Tommy Rev 3 list for the wattages and tolerances?? If so Great!!

also what types to use and where. I am assuming Metal film wherever possible and the carbon the rest of the way.

I have found other discrepencies.... where some resistor values are listed as 6m8 on the rev 3 list i have found things other than that on the 312 schemat. ( I will post this all later today or tonight as i am at work now....)

i have yet to comb through the 308(306 schemat) 338 and 340... but will do so soon. these too will be in the master list.

for the Resistors Does anyone have preferences to which manufacturer to use?? (xicon, yageo, panasonic, koa etc etc...).

And likewise for Caps. Which manufacturers and types. also what tolerances would you all suggest?

more later
cheers
-david

Yeah i also got some problems with the 1081 (and still have, it's not complete). As the gain switch order is still to be done i don't think anyone has already a working version ?

Regarding the 4m7/6M8 resistors. I believe this was answered by Tommytones in another thread but from memory i think he said that he reverse engineered his neve module and that had 6M8.
I used 6M8 on mine.
I took 1% tolerance resistors everywhere and all are 1/4W except those 6M8 are 0.6W.

Flo

[quote author="Infernal_Death"]
Regarding the 4m7/6M8 resistors. I believe this was answered by Tommytones in another thread but from memory i think he said that he reverse engineered his neve module and that had 6M8.
I used 6M8 on mine.
I took 1% tolerance resistors everywhere and all are 1/4W except those 6M8 are 0.6W.

Flo[/quote]
Would it trash the sound too bad if 10% 1/2 watt carbon comps were used?
Caine

Well i don't know. I bought those 6M8 0.6W metal films at farnell (part# 336865) so i guess they should be easy to obtain.
I just read that it's best to use metal films so i really never bothered with something else.

Flo

Flo is correct...6m8 is what is actually in the module. I was being very literal with the spec/tolerance/wattage of the parts used..i.e, I wrote what is actually in the module. Using metal film everywhere is fine and maybe a good idea although in the same breath I wouldn't worry much about using carbon 5% as that's what's mostly in there to begin with.

As for the rest, please post anything you might find. I haven't had time nor do I have any now to go through it all so everyone's help is appreciated and will only go to help others.

OK so 6m8 it is.. its in the middle (sorta) of 4m7 and 10m

Tommy and Tekay....?

does every part number on the new clones corelate to the 312 schematic on the Vintagedesigns site? if so i have created a small list of questions and will have it finished soon (... like a 10k on the schematic being listed as 6m8...)

any thing i should know about before i tackle the 308,338,340 or before tackle the Caps.

cheers

[quote author="quadwould"]for the Resistors Does anyone have preferences to which manufacturer to use?? (xicon, yageo, panasonic, koa etc etc...).

And likewise for Caps. Which manufacturers and types. also what tolerances would you all suggest?[/quote]
Howdy! While I'm not participating in the 1081 build, I do have a general obsession with using/cloning Neve 80 series and the 3415 (uses same op amps) is on my to do list. I've done much research and would love to help. So...

Guidelines
As Geoff has mentioned and many have noticed, Neve used a variety of component types and value substitutions during production depending on what they had on hand. While I'd imagine the EQ film caps were always closely spec'd there'd be a bit of variation with the resistors and electro caps. The axial electrolytics were mostly Phillips, and the radial ones were ITT (no longer available, AFAIK). While they used both metal and carbon film, all were pretty close in tolerance - often well under 5%. Their metal films were probably 5% and 100ppm or something similar, like what our carbon films are today. A presumed brand of resistor in some other modules was Beyschlag but I couldn't tell you about the 1081. Concerning solid tantalum caps, IIRC there were only two companies who made such a thing in the 1081's time - Sprague and Kemet. They've both got comparable specs + series nowadays so which to pick? Whatever's convinient I guess.

So what does all this mean? Aside from tolerance spec and values, IMHO, we should also try to chose brands/series that was available or has descended from something they would've had in early 1970s U.K

In the name of authenticity and using the two distributors you mention, here are my picks:

Resistors
- Dale CCF07 from Mouser
- BC (Beyschlag Centralab) Components from Digikey or Mouser. Preferably series SFR25H but they're hard to find.

Axial Electrolytic
- BC Components (formerly phillips) ASM 021. or use AML 183 and AHT 118 if you're worried about longetivity.

Tantalum Bead
- Vishay/Sprague 199D

polystyrene film
- Xicon from Mouser - Originals were styroflex (made by Siemens, now known as EPCOS) and had lower voltage rating.

Arguably, you could get better prices and selection using a combination of Mouser and Newark InOne instead of Digikey. Also, consider that more than a couple of the big 70s companies are still around but have been absorbed by Vishay, sometimes under a new name. Obviously I have not tracked down all of the variables but I think Newark/Farnell has got most of them covered.

Just ordered a Newark catalog..... (now i have to wait... :sad: )

I may the just make the master list with part numbers for all companies with prices for each as well.

i suppose i should scour the Aurora forum for more background info on parts.......

Nice, thanks for compiling a list!

Someone mentioned that the gain switch order was still not in. Does anyone know the status of this? I haven't received an update, or at least read one on here in a while.

Did we get all of the transistors worked out on this yet? I haven't been checking around here as often as I would like lately.

Thanks,

Jay

Sorry for the delay in questions about R values Tommy and Tekay.. been swamped with crap...

Tubejay.. i would check with Jonathan Hayward.... re: transistors... welll I have yet to finish resistors (as there seem to be lots of discrepancies.... ans i am unsure if they will effect function or sound...) then i move to Caps, then Transistors, and then Diodes (which should be quick.. i think they are only in the PSU..) and then the rest...

slowly but surely i'll get there.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=4638&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gain+switch&start=45

Seems like the gain switch order is closed. This was 15. April, haven't heard since then. Maybe Tommypiper can give an update.

Flo

Yes, the gain switch order closed last month. I hope to begin shipping your switches in 2-3 weeks.

Seems like we could all use a master list of all the parts and variations, and where to get them, particularly the transistors and diodes.

cheers,
tommypiper

Thanks Tommy, I got your email on the subject. Can't wait to get started on this!!

Has anyone done any work sourcing the transistors and diodes yet?

[quote author="tubejay"]Has anyone done any work sourcing the transistors and diodes yet?[/quote]
Using Parts List Rev3 and NTE replacements where possible I was able to find everything except the BC214KC (or BC214C) using the big U.S. catalogs (Newark, Mouser, sometimes Digikey). I believe AE4 Electronics might have the BC214KC but I'm not sure how to order from them. All the obscure non-NTE stuff is backorder from Newark, but of course Farnell and RS have it all in stock.

Just got Newark Catolog today.. will start the List making soon ( have to finish the G*S*SL list with added features first....
should have list done for when the knobs and switches come in..

I just started building my 1081's this week so I have to dig this thread up from the grave....
I read from other threads that the parts list PDF was made from an actual unit. I also see that this project runs off of 24V (right?). Would there be any harm in using 100V caps instead of the 250V and 400V on the list?
TIA
Dan

Latest posts

Back