Calrec EQ front panel layout.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caps

Does anyone have a front panel layout with spacing for holes etc. much like the other Gyraf projects? If not Ill have to sit down and work it out, but thought Id ask here first as I know others have made these. thanx. :0)

Hi
Thats where i struggled with my Calrec getting the switches to line up with the front panel. To get the horizontal measurements i used the parts layout as a template but it wasn't quite so easy to get the vertical alignment, i cheated and drilled the holes for the switch heads oversize.
Vikki(uk) :shock:

Hi Vikki,

I figured as much. Oversized holes has been my saviour on a few occassions. How you finding your Calrec now you have it up and going?

Works great, had a few problems with the ic sockets at first couldn't figure out why the gain went up and down, just hadn't pushed the ic's in hard enough, should have purchased better sockets they were cheapo maplin ones. Results are great, it works great with my acoustic guitar i can really bring it to life, can tweak vocals or anything. Everyone should have one! :grin:
Vikki(uk)

Hi,

quick reply.. spacing between pots is 1,5 and 1,2 inch. switches in the middle.
most right switch 0,75 inch from pot.
left switch 0,6 inch from pot.
bypass switch 0,8 inch from shelf switch.

these are values I measured. please check!!!

The reason why no "finished" frontpanel suggestion has been made untill now, is that the switches comes in all sorts of different heights, so you would have to correct for this anyway.

But maybe it would be good to have at least a suggested frontpanel layout.

Vikki - I'm sorry if you find this question offending - but are you really a girl? I mean, I've NEVER heard of any girls diving into electronics far enough to actually take on a project like this.. :shock:

Jakob E.

Caps,

If you want to put two in a chassis, you can do what Frank did here: http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/calrec.html

His layout for Front Panel Designer is here: http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/schaeffer.html

Cheers,

elco

...and if someone could send me a small drawing with all distances to every knob (the middle point) i could try to make it in frontpanelexpress... if the drilling for the knobs are exactly in the middle it is very easy for everbody to change the knob breakout to anyathing you want...

...so round knobs, angular knobs... can be used

The 3HE Panel is very complex and not cheap. Jakobs version with switches on the pcb is still very good and easy to do.

Frank.

here you go. these are my measurements so handle with care :wink: :

calrecpanel.gif

Hi Frank,

I have a mac, so I need to start softpc and check the layout. This is a bit sloooow so I'll check tomorrow.

thanks,
corneel

Looks good, Frank!

Would it be possible to import the beautifull frequency and db-scales you made for the other version of the Calreq? Those looks very nice..

Jakob E.

the scales seems to be in HPGL format but grouped with all front marking, may be you can post the scales alone as hpgl?

Thanks!

Synthi.

Ok. Heres is a version with the scales from my 3HE version:

gyraf_calrec1_beta.jpg

http://www.nrgrecording.de/Gyraf_Calrec2_beta2_scales.fpd

Here is another one with 180° rotated pcbs.
(then the low frequency is on the left) more common?!

gyraf_calrec4_beta.jpg

http://www.nrgrecording.de/Gyraf_Calrec4_beta.fpd

Here is a *.fpd file with the scales. The scale for db is always the same of course. With the *.fpd file it is easier to "import" them to other *.fpd files... just mark it, copy (Strg+C) and paste (Strg+V) in the destination window...
If somone needs a HPGL anymore... give me a sign.
(but for an import to FPexpress you have to choose the HPGL first, then place the HPGL, set the correct colour...)

Hint/Tip: If the scale is ungrouped (so that the HPGL scale is alone) you can change the dimensions... it is easy to customize them to every knob you want.

calrec_scales_only.jpg

http://www.nrgrecording.de/calrec_scales_only.fpd

to Nele:
5mm for LEDs? I think 3mm or 6mm is better? Isn't it?

...as always: please check EVERYTHING, i haven't testet it :wink:
(i still need a cnc engraving maschine) :cry:

Kind regards,
Frank.

Frank = master of frontpanels :wink: :thumb: (Master, Master where's the dreams that i've been after ? :green: ) Strange i feel the need to play some Metallica :wink:

I am finishing the metal work on my calrec right now and i mounted the pcbs upside down so that you have the low section on the left. Just like Frank said i think it's more common. When i am ready i will post some pics.

Flo

:wink:

Aha. Flo's calrec is coming... :grin:
Which colour this time? blue, red, orange or yellow? :green:
What about the effect laquer like SPL uses? (blue shapes on black ground)
Haven't seen that on DIY projects yet.

Frank.

Hi Frank,

nice to see you back here , master of frontpanels disaster...

What about your manley designed sontec ?

Frank you won't believe it: this time it's.................. black :razz:
yeah i thought i order a black anodized frontpanel just to keep a little normal colors in the rack :wink:
But well there should be a little color so i will go with red knob caps on either frequency or level control, the other one will get yellow knob caps :green:

Effect laquer would be cool. I am not sure but i can imagine this could be pretty expensive. And i am wondering if the laquer's ability to stick on alu is good enough for frontpanels. I found out that without "haftlack" you don't have any chance. I experienced this with the Pultec frontpanel. I sprayed the whole frontpanel, everything was ok and while i labeled it one small letter wasn't in the right direction. So i wanted to take it off and a big chunk of paint came off :shock: So i had to scrap all the laquer from the frontpanel and do it all over again (this time of course with "haftlack"). Well leason learned ! :thumb:

Flo

Latest posts

Back