SSL Clone with no treble

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefan

I just put together my first SSL bus compressor clone and noticed two things right away. 1. the unit is stealing almost all the treble and upper mids, and I´m not talking a subtle rolloff here, something is definitely wrong, and the strange thing is that it does so both in active and bypass mode. I must admit to not using "Audiograde" capacitors for the signal in the output section, but I find it strange if this should cause such a HUGE degradation of the signal.
2. the RATIO-control works the wrong way around, meaning that the 2:1 position removes more gain than the 10:1 position.
I also noticed a subtle hum, but this might be caused by the mains transformer sitting on the main PCB so I might try to move that one when (if) I get the first two things sorted out.
Any suggestions anyone?

check that you have the right (pF range, NOT nF range) compensation caps at the opamp's (from out to inv. input on the 5532's and 5534's, and pin5-8 on the 5534's)

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]check that you have the right (pF range, NOT nF range) compensation caps at the opamp's (from out to inv. input on the 5532's and 5534's, and pin5-8 on the 5534's)

Jakob E.[/quote]
The marking is kind of strange on the capacitors, but I have already suspected that this might be the problem, cause I listened to the signal coming out of the first OP amp, and it´s really muffled after that one. I might have used 330PF and 220PF instead of 33 and 22. I will order new ones and check.
Thanks.

Try simply removing them first and listen (it will probably work without them just for testing) - if sound is better then, this is your problem.

keep the volume low when testing...the opamp right after the vca might oscillate like hell without the cap.

steff

[quote author="mike_relay"][quote author="Viitalahde"]All I see is the avatar.[/quote]

all of a sudden your avatar looks like a dildo with legs. :?[/quote]

rotfl.gif

May I say a joke?
What's the connection between a SSL comp with no highs and a running girl with a dildo?... :grin:
Just kidding. :wink:

chrissugar

[quote author="gyraf"]Try simply removing them first and listen (it will probably work without them just for testing) - if sound is better then, this is your problem.[/quote]
I removed them and this seemed to solve the problem. I ordered new ones today. I´m still confused ´bout the strange working RATIOknob.

[quote author="gyraf"]
I´m still confused ´bout the strange working RATIOknob.

Read the previous posts on the Clone, and confusion will reduce..

Jakob E.[/quote]
I read previous posts (as I should have done in the first place) and that sorted things out for me. I also changed the feedbackcapacitors on the input and now it´s working just fine. :grin:

Back