Dual MOSFET in a package.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Analog_Fan

For use a in long tail VCA experiment i came along these two.

IRF7303
V DSS = 30V
R DS(on) = 0.050Ω

IRF7314
V DSS = -20V
R DS(on) = 0.058Ω

Would one rate them as suitable?
their part number is fairly close and might look like complementary.

Attachments

• Infineon_IRF7303_DataSheet_v01_01_EN-1732635.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Infineon_IRF7314_DataSheet_v01_01_EN-1228313.pdf
    204.4 KB · Views: 10
For use a in long tail VCA experiment i came along these two.

IRF7303
V DSS = 30V
R DS(on) = 0.050Ω

IRF7314
V DSS = -20V
R DS(on) = 0.058Ω

Would one rate them as suitable?
their part number is fairly close and might look like complementary.
Huh? MOSFET in VCA? That would be a first.
Now, a long tail with different polarities?
Can you post a schemo?

VCAs generally use bipolar transistors inside.

JR

Well about a year ago, i discovered this site: sound-au.com.
it has some articles on VCA's, that's where the idea came from, just wanna give a try and compare vs my CA3080, LM13700 vca's.
the Falstad simulator shows it should work, i don't have a spectrum analyzer.

On a Hackaday YouTube video witch had the subject to reverse engineer the die of a chip.
that guy said today they use FET's instead of bipolar transistor, but JFET don't seem to cut the mostard according the simulator

Die images:
https://zeptobars.com › en
CD4000 contains 2x 3-input NOR gate + 1x inverter gate. Die size 1722x1394 µm. Datecode 749. Infineon BFP450 - highly linear low noise BJT, 24Ghz fT : weekend die-shot I like that it is complex for a BJT, yet one can see everything without de-layering. You can compare it to BC858C (fT 250 MHz), BFP540 (fT 30 GHz) and BFR740 (fT 42 GHz).

just wanna give a try and compare vs my CA3080, LM13700 vca's.
Both are very mediocre VCA's.
On a Hackaday YouTube video witch had the subject to reverse engineer the die of a chip.
that guy said today they use FET's instead of bipolar transistor, but JFET don't seem to cut the mostard according the simulator
So who are you going to believe? the guy on YouTube or the simulator? Dilemma...
Die images:
CD4000 contains 2x 3-input NOR gate + 1x inverter gate. Die size 1722x1394 µm. Datecode 749. Infineon BFP450 - highly linear low noise BJT, 24Ghz fT : weekend die-shot I like that it is complex for a BJT, yet one can see everything without de-layering. You can compare it to BC858C (fT 250 MHz), BFP540 (fT 30 GHz) and BFR740 (fT 42 GHz).
I don't really see how this is relevant to this discussion.

Well about a year ago, i discovered this site: sound-au.com.
it has some articles on VCA's, that's where the idea came from, just wanna give a try and compare vs my CA3080, LM13700 vca's.
Technically those are OTAs (operational transconductance amps), VCAs operate using different principles.

The LSK 389 is a JFET not MOSFET.

It might work after a fashion, I am not familiar with the transconductane law of mosfets.

good luck.

JR
the Falstad simulator shows it should work, i don't have a spectrum analyzer.

Die images:

Both are very mediocre VCA's.
they might be in the pro audio world, but common practice in a synthesizer alongside a transistor long tail.
I got a cool audio 2164 cloned ic, but not yet dedicated time to, don't have a idea of a c.v control circuit yet.
So who are you going to believe? the guy on YouTube or the simulator? Dilemma...
indeed, but i assume the simulator is right.
I get better results from the simulator using mosfet than jfet.

Do you think the parts i have chosen are suitable in a +/-12V synthesizer environment.
they seam to be complementary, like the (BC547 & BC557), (2SA733 & 2SC945 used by Roland).
I don't really see how this is relevant to this discussion.
Just in case you didn't have seen this website, pretty interesting images.

indeed, but i assume the simulator is right.
The simulator is as right as its models. Models are the weak links in simulators.
they seam to be complementary, like the (BC547 & BC557), (2SA733 & 2SC945 used by Roland).
I don't see complementary devices in your proposed schematic.

I don't see complementary devices in your proposed schematic.
i meant the mosfet datasheets from witch i started the topic.
Just to build a "old skool" vca module, but a bit more modern than old/early Moog devices, touch implying silica product but not ic's.
they are rated for 20/30 Volts. the signal inside is 10 V.p.p.

the search engine from mouser doesn't seem to do what you want (sometimes) if you wanna filter or try too.
Yesterday i tried again for onsemi, toshiba products (dual mosfets), though the voltage range was in range, their datasheet said things like: digital logic, battery control, motor control and if you find a N channel it quite a challenge to find the counter P channel part, like a day job.

i meant the mosfet datasheets from witch i started the topic.
Just to build a "old skool" vca module, but a bit more modern than old/early Moog devices, touch implying silica product but not ic's.
they are rated for 20/30 Volts. the signal inside is 10 V.p.p.

the search engine from mouser doesn't seem to do what you want (sometimes) if you wanna filter or try too.
Yesterday i tried again for onsemi, toshiba products (dual mosfets), though the voltage range was in range, their datasheet said things like: digital logic, battery control, motor control and if you find a N channel it quite a challenge to find the counter P channel part, like a day job.
You're becoming more and more obscure.
Why do you need complementary MOSFET's?

VCAs for pro audio is a 'solved problem' with some great solutions from THAT. VCAs for synths are more in the category of guitar amps, you don't perfect, you want interesting. I say build some circuits, see if they match your simulation, send some audio through and see if you like the results. Best case you've come up with a new topology that gives your synth some distinct character, worst case you go back to the usual culprits and you've learned a lot.

Last edited:
VCAs for pro audio is a 'solved problem' with some great solutions from THAT. VCAs for synths are more in the category of guitar amps, you don't perfect, you want interesting. I say build some circuits, see if they match your simulation, send some audio through and see if you like the results. Best case you've come up with a new topology that gives your synth some distinct character, worst case you go back to the usual culprits and you've learned a lot.
that's exactly what i wanna do, a not so perfect VCA made from individual parts rather than ic's.
But i do design pcb's from the get go, hate breadboard, made a few months ago, the parts i have chosen are SOIC8 instead of SOT3..., a bit easier to solder for me, haven't soldered silicon SMD parts yet.

Just wanted an opinion from people on these parts.
IRF7303
IRF7314

the Datasheets of FETs, transistors are somewhat more "dificult" than for example a CD4053, CD4030, CD4021.

Latest posts

Back