Just some pics from my 1176 clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaah, Fotis, I was thinking about your amazing ground-planes this morning, I think the 1176 is the ideal candidate for them.
Absolutely gorgeous :thumb:

Thank you friends.
About double sided pcbs ( the upper side is the ground plane ) is standard technique for RF projects. Is oneway for remove ground loops, rf interferences, etc. Finished the 1176 it worked at once without any kind of hum or something like this. Also think that this unit is working on abroadcast radio station!! This means many KW of RF around, many equipments etc. Also building green mic pre with this technique, is quiet like DEATH!!!
see my green updated version:http://www.qsl.net/sv3eao/micpre.htm

Looks nice!
I can?t see any input & output trafos on the pics. Have you skipped both of them?
If so how does it sound then?

Cheers

M

Right, Mikke.
I never tested or heard with trafos. My project has balanced input, via opa2604AP (replacement of ne5532) and unbalanced output (without trafos).
The best sound that i hear from it , is when input is unbalanced , too. I means that the audio is feeded directly to input pot. That's the way i use .
All about what you like and what you need....

About its sound, i think is fantastic. I have never seen or heard the original (only from BF pluggins ), but comparable with my dbx160A is far away better and clear than dbx for my use. I know about trafos effect , but i don't like it so much .

Hmmm! That sounds like something I have to try over the summer..
I have 2 1176 boards laying around somewhere.

Very nice design. :thumb:
Thanks for the idea of the additional ground plane. Did you use the metal plate on which the PCBs and the transformer are mounted as a ground plane, too ?
Did you use a steelfrontpanel? (I´m asking because aluminium is a poor RF-shield).
Doesn´t add the ground plane on the PCB parasitic capacitance to the circuit?

holy moly, I realize that my poor,little knowledge about RF is totaly gone :cry:

cheers
Jens

Jensenmann, only one point of ground with chassis. The ground plane of boards is separated from chassis with plastic screws. So The point of ground is only at the transformer's point. No steel frontpanel. Ofcourse the extra ground plane adds capacitance to the circuit, but i think that few pf aren't problem to this kind of desigh.

cheers

Latest posts

Back