Looking for a variable impedance transformer.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nacho459

So I'm thinking of building a G9 with a Variable impedance transformer on the front. I was planing on using the Cinemag CM-9955T, but they say they are sold out of them and implied that the wouldn't be making any more any time soon. So I was wondering if anyone knew of some other variable impedance mic input transformers out there?

UTC A-10
Peerless K-241-D (good luck on that one)
Triad HS-1, HS-11 (another "good lucker")

You need current production iron? Or is vintage O.K?

You could also use a 600:600 into a regular mic input.
Double your iron, double your fun!

Then you have a bazillion choices.

For instance, there is a Triad HS-66 that surprisingly no one has snapped up on evilbay right now, 75 bucks on a buy it now. Similar to HS-56, orig. eqp. on the EQP-1A, but then you knew that and I'm out.

I liked the Cinemag cause it has six different taps, 50, 200, 300, 600, 1.2K, and 2.4K ohms. I already have the 6P6T switch for it. I would want something that has a wide variety of taps. I'm want to be able to use the different impedances not really for matching impedances, but a controlled mismatching to effect the tone of the mic.

Do you plan to use shorting 6P6T?
I?m going to do the same thing in Fabio?s Api with a Cinemag CM-75101A. But there?s only two impedances to switch (150 eand 600).
Maybe I?ll try a CM-9955-T? But output impedance is not 15k but 9.1K. Is there a real sensible difference?

[quote author="laitue5"]Do you plan to use shorting 6P6T?[/quote]

I bought this big Shalco switch at APEX that can be wired up either shorting or non shorting.

Latest posts

Back