1272 NEVE hotrod trannys

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gerardmanvuca

My plan is to build a 1272 that would have similar sonic characteristics to the actual original Neve. The problem is that I'm not sure which transformer to go for.
I know that AMS/NEVE use Carnhill trannys for their 1272 outboards, I have looked at a few post and Sowter
trannys seem to be used a lot for this project, why Sowter over Carnhill?

In this post http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6518&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

'Mbira' lists recommended Trannys for specific projects, according to this source

- input tranny = Carnhill VTB9046
- output tranny = Carnhill VTB9049

Has anyone ever tried these ones on a 1272 hotrod, if so. Any good?

:sam: gerard

In general the Carnhill iron will have sonics closer to the ones used in original Neve's, so if accuracy to the original is what you want, then Carnhill is the way to go.

If you want to 'update' the sound a bit, with extended highs and clearer, less murky low mids and tighter low end, then the Sowter is the way to go.

The Carnhills, by comparison, are a bit 'raw' sounding (that is, more aggressive, less pristine/true), and stacks of overdubs through them tend to bulk up the low mids, often requiring a bit extra eq during mixing to sort it all out.

The difference is not particularly subtle, though not so radically different that you need to stress over the decision. If one sounds good on a particular source, the other will too, so don't lose too much sleep deciding which way to go..

Both rock, and you'll find many great uses for your premps no matter which way you decide to go.

JC

PS - My personal desert island favorite iron combo for Neve stuff is a Carnhill input with Sowter out (the 8751, I think it's called, the one with the thicker stack that won't fit in 1ru). Great iron character yet a bit more broadly applicable to my ear, with sweet highs. Just my 2-cents.

Hi there, here's my replica to 1048,

tr3.jpg

They preferred (for me ) on Carenhills..iron used is 80% Ni from Magmets.

How many trunny's you need?

tr1.jpg

tr4.jpg

tr6.jpg

JC,

Thanks for the explanation about the transformers, :thumb:
I will go with the Carnhill trannys, I could still modify them in the near future if they sound bad but I doubt this will happen.

Gerard, :wink:

igor, you got cheap on the Cu.
you need 3 pieces.
1 ea. for the coil
1 ea. around both coils.

let anything new break in.
comparing lams from 1960 with 2007 = 47 years of magnetic aging, which does exist.
in the lams that is.

Chris, I patienly reading stuff from your site some years;))
And have to say again, THANK YOU!
Sometimes hacking trunny's as well.
Three copper shields are used as you mentioned.
I aggree, aging is important,
but these trunny's are not copy neither ripp-off (if I wright this correct).
Anyway, used 8014 super-q lams which sounded best for me (tested
49, 80 and 84), and they different from original 10468, but
mind mfg costs, to make your own trynny's not allways much
cheaper then buy new ones from manufacturer..
I did these trunny's for my Albatross pre-amps, will post pictures.
By most of testers they were preferred on equivalent level blind-test
with clean monitoring to 1064's with eq switched off.

Latest posts

Back