Electrolytic vs film caps for smaller values.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. But there's no way of telling what audio information is lost and how it would be skewed in relation to amplitude or frequency. 'Lytics are primarily electro chemical devices with electrolyte in between 2 pieces of al foil. The electrolyte changes with time, along with charge migration as electrons find their way into the etched foil, which is a rather slow process (days, weeks, months) know as "forming". One of the reasons audio gear needs to "break in" before performing at its best.

But a pure filter does not lose information apart from that which it is designed to do. Practical implementations may introduce distortion (eg due to voltage coefficient). But tbh if you're using an electrolytic where that is an issue then you're doing it wrong.

I thought the "golden ear" vs. "meter reader" debates died off last century.

I can measure things that I can't hear, and I was always able to measure things that I could reliably hear. That said human ears (like mine) are not always that reliable. It's easier to trick human hearing, than bench test equipment.

JR

Yes. Hearing is subject to do many variable parameters. Monitoring / headphone environment obvs but also fatigue / mental status etc And of course hf hearing loss with age.
Decades ago now but I'd still refer to an AP2 or even the Neutrik A2 test kit that I used then.

But a pure filter does not lose information apart from that which it is designed to do. Practical implementations may introduce distortion (eg due to voltage coefficient). But tbh if you're using an electrolytic where that is an issue then you're doing it wrong.
A. They're not a pure filters. B. Agreed. If I can avoid the 'lytic I do. There are some that have a good audio reputation. Black Gate was a hot item at one time. I think they are discontinued.

Latest posts

Back