EMI RS124

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is what I have, I am not 100% sure it is an original one, despite what claims the seller. Solen caps and all ... ?
From the looks of it , only the 5th one from the back is a real unit... So no 100% reliable gut shot, I am sorry :(

Attachments

• dqq6vymfu0cy0wgv6vgv.jpg
    dqq6vymfu0cy0wgv6vgv.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 2
  • kjnxmtmogefqjrj6u3al.jpg
    kjnxmtmogefqjrj6u3al.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 1
  • zlkuudv0ucvsfr2ekkbv.jpg
    zlkuudv0ucvsfr2ekkbv.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 1
  • g83tvxi3f6zbly0ge6xo.jpg
    g83tvxi3f6zbly0ge6xo.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 0
  • EMI_rs124_rear.jpeg
    EMI_rs124_rear.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 0
  • krzomdhvr3u8mhmm2nhp.jpeg
    krzomdhvr3u8mhmm2nhp.jpeg
    271 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Here is what I have, I am not 100% sure it is an original one, despite what claims the seller. Solen caps and all ... ?
From the looks of it , only the 5th one from the back is a real unit... So no 100% reliable gut shot, I am sorry :(
Thanks anyway! I think you're right, this is a replica or a total rebuild of an old device (Altec 436?). The components are definitely too new for the actual age.

Were the originals just a new front panel but kept the existing altec chassis? The altec layout PTP is pretty simple since so few parts to follow if you take a minute to follow the components inside.

Ah. Curious what would have demanded a complete rebuild vs adding to existing. Additions like the feedback 100ks wouldn't require additional lugs to solder in. Maybe the techs wanted to beef up their billable hours…

A period build would be pretty rad but all the .02/400 mustard caps in the world are sitting in Marshalls / marshall clones these days

I decided to go with the usual suspects in my builds : Nichiden, JJ as well as some TAD and some vintage Cornell Dubilier from my stash. Even a 1:1 period correct clone would not make me write / sound like Paperback Writer so ... :)
😂 😂
I will use Mallory M150 for my first build for the 0.022uf positions. "They" use it in their 4k replica as well:
Chandler_EMI_Abbey_Road_RS124_Compressor_13-2048x1238.jpgChandler_EMI_Abbey_Road_RS124_Compressor_1B-2048x1238.jpg

I have a question regarding the size of the required resistors in the main part of the circuit (i.e. not in the PSU).

From my point of view, I should be able to get by with 0.6 watt resistors everywhere.

But I see on photos of the official RS124 replica also 2 Watt types, for example in position R7 at the common cathode of the 6CG7.

Why?

If I use the values given in the schematic I get 46mW thermal load.

The 100k feedback resistors are also 2 Watt types. Do you really need that?

What is your experience on this topic? I'm almost done with my PCB design (I'm really slow😬) and just checking all footprints to see if they are big enough.

Latest posts

Back