Gibson 1958 ga20 restoration

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilfungo

Hi
I've bought an old Gibson Ga20 amp , and started to refurbish it.
Can someone help me to identificate this speaker?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240120_131858.jpg
    20240120_131858.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240120_131719.jpg
    20240120_131719.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240120_131650.jpg
    20240120_131650.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Unfortunately I can't help you with the identification, I think the original should be a Jensen. As far as I can see, this is not a Jensen.

I am basically interested in the amp. It would be nice to see some photos of it. Maybe you can document your restauration here?

I don't recognize it and I don't see a code on it that would lead to an ID through a EIA code.
It appears to be alnico and if you measure the voice coil diameter you could get an idea of it's power handling ability.

That looks like a hifi speaker not guitar. I base that on the suspension on the edge. As others have mentioned a Jensen is the speaker used for the period.

Thanks to everyone!
I know the real one was Jensen.
I've bought the Amp at low price because different parts are not original, but the electronics components and chassy are original....
The cab and speaker not, but if the speaker sound good I will use it.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't help you with the identification, I think the original should be a Jensen. As far as I can see, this is not a Jensen.

I am basically interested in the amp. It would be nice to see some photos of it. Maybe you can document your restauration here?

Attachments

• Gibson GA 20  Chassy Front .jpg
    Gibson GA 20 Chassy Front .jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
  • Gibson GA 20  Chassy Inside .jpg
    Gibson GA 20 Chassy Inside .jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Output Transformer....
I think it's not the original one.
Someone have ever seen this transformer marked TRU SOUND?
Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Gibson GA 20  Transformer jpg.jpg
    Gibson GA 20 Transformer jpg.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 2
Never seen that speaker before. I'd definitely try it out, some of those old baskets have sweet tones;-)
It is likely to have a small short vc, wound on paper, and a sensitivity of upwards of 96dB.
I have a similar Peerless 10" that delivers 100dB. It won't take a lot of power, but it'll be loud untill it dies...
Keep us posted!
Ciao, V!

Latest posts

Back