Lang is back 🤔🤔

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wanted a peq front with a pultec make up amp. Would be a peq-1 by Lang except they did a different make up amp iirc.
I hear exactly what you're saying. The points and the curves of the Lang are what I love so much. There are a lot of folks—Andrew Scheps most famously, I guess—that like the Lang better because they feel the Pultec is too slow in the low end or even rings. I only have a pair of solid state Pultecs in my rack to use as a reference. Anyway, a PEQ with a Pultec makeup amp would be a dream.

In the meantime, I'm not real excited about the prospect of Heritage's typical through-hole-where-we-have-to-and-SMD-everywhere-else approach, but if they do it right then I'll gladly eat crow.

I hear exactly what you're saying. The points and the curves of the Lang are what I love so much. There are a lot of folks—Andrew Scheps most famously, I guess—that like the Lang better because they feel the Pultec is too slow in the low end or even rings. I only have a pair of solid state Pultecs in my rack to use as a reference. Anyway, a PEQ with a Pultec makeup amp would be a dream.

In the meantime, I'm not real excited about the prospect of Heritage's typical through-hole-where-we-have-to-and-SMD-everywhere-else approach, but if they do it right then I'll gladly eat crow.
I am more just annoyed they have it. Their bulk of work was/is clones of neve.
It made them the money to buy ip of a former company. It’s really no different then uli B who now owns midas and others.

Perhaps gyraf could explain us why Harman is so bad....
That’s easy. Just look at all that Harman had acquired over the years and what Happened to them. Bss, amek, studer, jbl, etc.
Jbl for example, I knew guys there, they were smart but Harman got rid of them. Every to push the bottom line is the dollar and profit vs any sort of quality. Make it in the far east and go.
They had a tweeter design they first were making in the u.s. but moved manufacturing abroad to Mexico. Same design supposedly, but it was completely different sonically.
and that is just some of the JBL stuff now spread that across amek, bss and the rest. Not to mention, they have a habit of closing companies down after they acquire their IP. I would not want to be in business with Harman.

Harman isn't the only one...

Remember how Memorex Telex corp. bought DDA?

The first design of the "DDA Interface" mixer under Telex mgmt was too close to Soundcraft's Delta, so they had to pay a million $ for IP theft.

Timex was planning to sell that mixer under the Electro Voice, DDA and another US brand labels. That plan ended abruptly after the court case.

Meanwhile, the DDA manufacturing in the UK had been stopped. Dave Dearden, David and Gareth Davies had started Audient. The DDA Interface was built by Dynacord in Germany. In 2006, Telex Communications was gobbled up by Bosch...

Remember Harman is owned by Samsung these days?

Ewwww, wall wort🤢
To go to all that trouble and spend all that money—only to make a product that just screams Chinese knock-off.

Edit: I came back and looked at it again after some time. The PSU thing is the biggest issue, aside from their normal SMD use, but I guess it doesn't look like junk. I just expected more I guess.

Last edited:
Looks a lot like the previously mentioned (anticipated) SME/through hole approach. However, output transformer is a Cinemag? Inductors look like Vintage Windings. Combination of through hole polyester (I think) and polystyrene caps looks alright.

To go to all that trouble and spend all that money—only to make a product that just screams Chinese knock-off.

Edit: I came back and looked at it again after some time. The PSU thing is the biggest issue, aside from their normal SMD use, but I guess it doesn't look like junk. I just expected more I guess.
Smt doesn’t bother me. With the right tools, working is easy.
Psu is what gets me, but by doing it that way they can avoid ce and ul testing.

I dunno, call me weird but maybe somebody with ears should you know.... listen? Before we consign this thing to the dumpster.

I get it, Harman have not earned love.

External wallwart with good internal regualtion and filtering could be excellent.
You're right. I've had such a lust for the original that I committed a sin that I've long railed against. I even texted a friend earlier today that even with my hasty dismissal, I'd still very much like to get my hands on one to test.

Back