Linear power supply ideas

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I've recently acquired an 80VA, 25v with ct output transformer. I'd like to hear your opinions and ideas to make the most out of its rather rustic casing by converting it into a linear power supply. For your information, I have a limited degree of understanding with regards to lps designs with monolithic regulators so I intend to keep the design relatively simple.
My main objective with this transformer is to literally squeeze every bit of power that I can get out of it, this is also important because I know that any excess power/voltage is transferred into heat which is what I want to avoid given that its got limited space and I intend to just bolt the regulator to its chassis wall. My question here is whether it's wise to use an 18v or 24v regulator with this transformer? The primary can be wired from 200-250v and heat is my main concern here.
Beyond that, I'd like to hear some practical experience from you when it comes to picking regulators, rectifiers and a circuit, as far as I can tell, 78xx would be a wonderful monolithic regulator to use, but I'd like something with more current capabilities seeing that 80VA would be quite a waste just to output 1A/1.5A. I know nothing about rectifiers so I probably need information as to why people specify fast recovery (?) diodes for that purpose. As far as my reading goes, voltage regulation starts to be less effective with high current devices so my question is what circuit should I integrate with that in mind?
Finally, a lot of audiophile LPS use tons of capacitor which I think add the total capacitance to the tens of thousands of microfarads, far more than what manufacturers specify, some also use inductors to regulate noise whilst manufacturers also don't necessarily specify, I just wanna ask about your opinions on this too!
Hopefully this will be a reasonably easy project to kickstart my DIY side of designing electronic circuits!

Last edited:
The first question is what voltages do you want to get from this power supply? A single 24V like Neve gear or split supplies for op amps or something else?

Cheers

Ian

The first question is what voltages do you want to get from this power supply? A single 24V like Neve gear or split supplies for op amps or something else?

Cheers

Ian
Dear Ian,
I did consider using it as an external transformer for split supplying amplifiers but most headphone amps I found use higher voltages so I dropped the idea. It's a waste of its casing too since it could still hide some components within.
Honestly, I don't mind whether it outputs 18v or 24v, I just want to make the best out of this transformer provided that it doesn't overheat.

OK, if you just use it as a 25VAC transformer an add a bridge rectifier and smoothing cap then the peak raw dc voltage will be around 35V. As you add a load some ripple will occur depending on the load and the size of the smoothing capacitor. A typical approach would be to follow this simple circuit with a regulator. For example you could use a standard 1 amp fixed voltage 24V regulator. This will give you a 24V supply at up to 1 amp. Worst case this would consume 35VA from the transformer so it will not even get warm.

Cheers

Ian

OK, if you just use it as a 25VAC transformer an add a bridge rectifier and smoothing cap then the peak raw dc voltage will be around 35V. As you add a load some ripple will occur depending on the load and the size of the smoothing capacitor. A typical approach would be to follow this simple circuit with a regulator. For example you could use a standard 1 amp fixed voltage 24V regulator. This will give you a 24V supply at up to 1 amp. Worst case this would consume 35VA from the transformer so it will not even get warm.

Cheers

Ian
Hi Ian,
It's me again, I think I found a way out of this :)
Basically, I was trying to make a 24v 2a dc power supply with a 7824 to fully utilise the transformer, the problem was that the math simply didn't add up. I'm basing this on a worst case scenario where the equipment is expected to run 24/7 on high mains voltage, here's how I did my math:
25vac÷250v x 253v (UK upper limit) x 1.414 =35.77vrms approx.
35.77vrms - 1.2 (bridge rectifier drop, being a bit harsh here) -24vdc = 10.57
10.57 x 2a output = approx. 20w
Now, my assumption was to use a 7824 with a to-220 package, the typical bolted thermal resistance is 5°C, I would also assume worst case with mounting resistance at 1.6°C, I found a heat sink at 1.2°C...
20 x (5+1.6+1.2) = 156°C... this isn't healthy at all given that the To-220 package maxes out at 125°C
However, once I realised that To-3 Packages are rated at 1.5°C max, the math is very attractive:
20 x (1.5 +1.6 + 1.2) = 86°C
In fact, I could easily raise the bar to 30W (3A) and it will just be 4°C over theoretically, of course I'm aware that the math is based on 25°C ambient temperature which means the unit is definitely not going to sit well during the summer so I'm scrapping that and dropping it to 2A max. Besides, I wanted to make a power supply that would match the audiophile dc power supplies available on the market and I believe that 2A is already pretty much ahead of the match so I'll be happy with that power.
Now I'm trying to find any To-3 packaged 7824 that supply 2A or change the circuit slightly for a To-3 package voltage regulator, I'd also like to work on the aesthetics of retrofitting a heatsink to the transformer, this is going to get interesting :)
p.s. still working on the Pi filter, I just need more understanding on it.

Thanks a lot Ian!

Latest posts

Back