Multiple Silent Arts PSU boards with one Transfomer - Noise issue!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corgan4321

I'm having an issue that I need some help addressing. I have 3 pairs of EZ1080 pres (6 preamps total) racked in 3 separate 1U chassis powered by an external PSU that has two Silent Arts boards. The 24V POS board and the 48V + 24V POS board.

The issue I'm having is that when a certain combination of preamp's phantom power is switched on, I get some ground loop buzz. I'm been trying to chase it down but the issue seems complex. I'm using JLM Go Betweens for phantom switching on all channels. Right now, one chassis takes it's 24V from the POS board and the other two chassis take their 24V from the other board. All three take their 48V from the one 24V/48V board. Photo attached of the guts of this PSU.

I have a Vintech PSU that works just fine with the setup - it's quiet and works as expected. I'd like to get the PSU I built with the Silent Arts boards working with the preamps though.
What is the correct protocol for hooking up multiple PSU regulator boards with one power transformer? Is my issue that the transformer doesn't have a center tap to force both regulator boards to reference the same 0V? Right now I have secondaries of the power transformer in parallel, would separating them and putting them in series potentially solve the issue?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4355.JPG
    IMG_4355.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back