My "Giant" 1176 finished !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvas

Yeah, i know...some of you will say "WHAT A WASTE OF RACKSPACE !!!" specially with all these 500 series modules around, but i have at least 4 good reasons for this, i promise.

1 ) i wanted it to be big and impressive looking
2 ) i wanted to use that big old TEAC meter
3 ) i needed a big, non-heating unit to put between the D-LA2A and the PM670 !
4 ) 2RU isn't an option for me. It has to be 1RU or 3RU. My local metal shop doesn't make anything i can adapt to a 2U front panel and works nice. and 1RU isn´t enougn for that meter...

It´s an Mnats rev J board, with OEP´s on both sides. "stock" unit and OEP's installed "native". Due to my choice of transformers (i got rid of a couple leftover toroids) i decided to use the PSU board that came with the main board. I used a couple 5457 Jfets instead the low leakage diodes. And, yes, i installed the 2N5457 FET's backwards at first ! took me a while to find out. Gladly, they are in sockets,as the 5457's connected as diodes. 

That skull ? you know what is it.

What can i say ? it´s an 1176, and everything is as expected. So far i've used it only on a mix, great compressor.

Only issue 'm having is audio pumping when in bypass with the fastest release settings...strange. I think i'm putting a relay bypass board here.

Wiring isn't particularly pretty but it works and the baby is very quiet.

CSF-1176.jpg

100_7980.jpg

100_7982.jpg

100_7983.jpg

100_7984.jpg

Yeah, that's me !

100_7986.jpg

100_7988.jpg

100_7989.jpg

100_7990.jpg

Next time, i'll do 2 channels in such rackspace. I promise !

Thanks Mako for such great work with the boards !

congratulations! it remember me a 2u behringer rack that just have a front pcb a LOT of space inside haha.  ;D

do you use a pot as atenuator in the input? I have an ampex 600:600 for the input but I haven´t conected yet.

saludos
Rafael

12afael said:
congratulations! it remember me a 2u behringer rack that just have a front pcb a LOT of space inside haha.  ;D

do you use a pot as atenuator in the input? I have an ampex 600:600 for the input but I haven´t conected yet.

saludos
Rafael

Hola Rafa, que gusto !

Nope, just  the standard 10k input pot.

Killer!  Very nice work!  That super tidy wiring is the mark of a pro!
Nothing wrong with a 3U.  The bigger the better right!
Awesome idea for the skull and crossbones as all buttons in.  Love it!

nice! inside and out. how did you do the graphics on the front panel
i have 2 of these awaiting some TLC to get them up to "snuff". got rid ,of the poorman660 parts i had collected and opted for the 1176s.

seavote said:
nice! inside and out. how did you do the graphics on the front panel
i have 2 of these awaiting some TLC to get them up to "snuff". got rid ,of the poorman660 parts i had collected and opted for the 1176s.

It´s all done in corel. That´s what my laser engraving shop takes. The panels always came out pretty dirty from the engraving process, so i clean them up with a mildly abrasive metal cleaning paste, then i use a solvent (we call it here "varsol" )that i spray on the panel to clean that mess up. After the panel is clean and dry, i coat the panel with liquid silicone, the one that´s used for car dashboards and interiors. I let that dry for a while, then i clean it up. The panel looks great that way and all the lettering is very white and legible.

Back