Vox wah wah mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be a chart to change swg to awg, yes it’s 0.05mm and about 400 turns on the N30 or N48, you’ll have to experiment as it seems to be slightly different.
I wondered how much influence the inductor had and the fact that most inductors come with very low resistance gives a completely different sound to when you have one with much higher resistance.
It’s horses for courses all this but to my ears I’m getting there, just small tweaks now to get to where I want.
Nothing it seems is ideal, there is not one setting which covers all that’s why I’m winding some and buying some from people so I can have about 4-5 wahs which cover everything.
One thing to try would be to put a 100 Ohm pot in series with a low resistance inductor. In simplified terms, an inductor that is 500mH with 80 Ohms DC resistance is generally modeled as a purely reactive 500mH inductor with 80 Ohms in series with it. The resistance usually reduces the Q of the circuit. Of course there ae many parasitic effects - mainly the winding capacitance that this does not account for, but I would try it because it is easy to do.

One thing to try would be to put a 100 Ohm pot in series with a low resistance inductor. In simplified terms, an inductor that is 500mH with 80 Ohms DC resistance is generally modeled as a purely reactive 500mH inductor with 80 Ohms in series with it. The resistance usually reduces the Q of the circuit. Of course there ae many parasitic effects - mainly the winding capacitance that this does not account for, but I would try it because it is easy to do.
yeah, worth a test to see what happens!!

my main issue is retaining the wah sound when putting on distortion/fuzz, and this brings into the problem of where you have the wah, first or second in line.
up until now i have pretty much always used the wah second after my distortion/fuzz but it does sound fizzy, with wah first then distortion the wah does seem to retain most of its sound without distortion, and i would assume that everyone wants it this way than not.
so far with using buffers or 50k trimmers i havent really heard anything i like yet but i am going to build this 3 transistor BOG fuzz.
I have simulated it within LTspice and puttting a 50 trimmer on input doesnt seem to effect the end distortion result as per the classic fuzz face circuit seems to, so i can only assume from this that the circuit is not as prone to the low impedance issues that the fuzz face circuit suffers from?
My friend Dave Yeoman has a setup which seems to work without a buffer or 50k trimmer using the BOG fuzz and a decent wah with the wah first in line so i think its worth checking this out!!!

I got that dual 100k pot going, it takes some of the quack off the top which is nice,

Thinking that a wah running off software would be the way to go, programmable pot, switching for capacitors and resistors in the circuit and maybe inductors, all with a user interface screen and a couple of ft switches for changing it on the fly, you could have like a hundred pedals in one,

I got that dual 100k pot going, it takes some of the quack off the top which is nice,

Thinking that a wah running off software would be the way to go, programmable pot, switching for capacitors and resistors in the circuit and maybe inductors, all with a user interface screen and a couple of ft switches for changing it on the fly, you could have like a hundred pedals in one,
Go for it CJ , doesn’t help me sort this wah fuzz thing but does sound interesting, you able to do a video or some audio of your findings?

Back