What to do with tubes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

null47

Hello, first apologies if this is not the proper place to post this kind of thread, I am new here, had a look around and still had not find a more fitting place. If any of the mods find a more fitting place for this thread, please notify me and feel free to move it.

With that out of the way, Hello again, so... on tubes, it is no secret to the members of this forum that tubes are well sought after for amps and preamps, but I'd like to do something different and also, I'd like some sugestions on low voltage tube amp designs. I managed to get my hands on 4 Sylvania 6jt8(these are tv tubes pentode-triode on the same tube) and about 20 voskhod 6ж1п(some dub it as 6j1p, from what little I gathered this is some vhf, frequency stuff tube), and I'd like to know what can I do with it besides amps, I know that nowdays all is done with the little three legged black things(transistors ) but I want to go "old school" for the sake of fun. I had a look around google and youtube but all I can find is tube amps and pre amp and audio related stuff, so I ask... what else can I do? Any suggestions? links, resources? Ideas or concepts? Anything like this would be much appreciated.

Also on my searches I came across this
http://www.audiodesignguide.com/New2A3/ETF06TS.pdf
While reading there is a section that says current trickler, what is a current trickler? And what would it be used for? I looked almost everywhere and no data was available

As for the second part of my quest, the low voltage stuff with tubes, I know it is madness, but I am still interested, and I fould some things like the 3.3v tube amp on hack a day, and some that used a 555 dc voltage booster to get around 100-200v from a much lower voltage, i.e. 5v or 12v I made some of these myself with slight mods to suit my needs on other projects... though, I wonder is it possible to drive tubes on low voltages? And is it possible without solid state components or do I have to go hybrid on this one.

In advance thanks.

-Null47
-edit1: minor text corrections

Last edited:
Back