Wonderful platform. Love the new ideas and innovations here!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s wave

I am a DIY person. I adore the basic theories behind inventions and products as well as interacting with cutting edge minds. This forum has it. I appreciate you welcoming me. I am presently working on new ribbon microphone designs as well as efficient DIY preamps based on IC circuits. I am also building echo boxes and full size echo chambers. Most of my current projects center around the science and art of sound capturing human vocal performances that have that special magic and pixie dust.

Just don't spell "bus" incorrectly 🤣
I am not sure what you mean?
Just don't spell "bus" incorrectly 🤣
I am not sure if you are being facetious? I did not use the word 'bus' in my introduction post above. I am not sure why everyone is reacting this way. Is it a private joke or is it a reaction from another thread? Just wondering.

Must be a debatable topic. LOL. I guess it is the old rhetorical/semantics of who prefers what. Buss was most popular in audio engineering circa 2000 outweighing the spelling of 'bus'. Soundcraft and other board manufacturers preferred the 'buss' spelling vs the 'bus' spelling along with many upper tier producers. If one uses the word 'bus'; the plural form is buses; yet I often see people using the word 'busses' as the plural form, let alone bused vs bussed. Buss bussed the buss on the busses. All fixed now. (rlol) tc.

It is all Greek to me λεωφορείο
Here's the definitive answer...

While the renowned computer scientist Grace Hopper was in Paris once, she was working on the new concept of parallel data transmission and wondering what to call it. While walking along the Seine, she saw a young couple kissing (as in bussing) on a bench. The name for the circuit immediately came to her. The two ends of the circuit are kissing as in bussing across a parallel set of wires. The name as we all know, stuck.

Outside of her incredible body of work, she was also known for her nanosecond. In addition to her research, she also taught computer science. On the first day of each class or at the beginning of a speaking gig, she would hand each person an 11" piece of wire. You see, 11" is as far as light goes in a nanosecond at the uh... speed of light. I have a friend down in Alabama who has one of them. It's his most prized possession.

To summarize, a buss is a kiss or a parallel data circuit. A bus is something you ride to work.

Best to all,

Randy

no offense to the well respected grace hopper, electrical bus is derived from omnibus (a vehicle carrying multiple passengers).
Buss is a verb, bus a noun that is sometimes used as a verb as in to bus.

of course usage like opinions still varies, language is like that. I spelled it wrong back in the 80s. :rolleyes:

JR

Latest posts

Back