Yamaha PM700 my retirement console mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtbikeman11

Hi everyone, I’m settling in on this newly acquired pm700. I plan to mod it to suit my needs. It’s very clean and after replacing 2 fuses inside it seems to work, except for the right VU program meter.
1st up after testing and cleaning will be to move the power supply outside of the box, to make room for the future direct out transformers. I believe there’s +-22v, +-15v, +12v,+6v. There are 15 wires carrying these dc voltages into the console.
Should I just get a 15 conductor shielded cable and build a box for the ps , housing all the pieces I have already? Or look for a beefier power supply that can accommodate all the voltages I need? Thanks in advance.

Here’s a picture of the backside of the power supply board, looks like I can cut down on the number of wires from 15 to 12 in the cable and double up on some of them. Maybe use a dB 25 connector? Or is there something better? I’m very new at this. So any advice is welcome. Also there are other wires coming off the transformer not being used, do you think there would be 48v available in there? There is no phantom power in the stock mixer. Thanks Mike.

On my bench, I would add P48 in the external PSU, just like any huge console. Make it switchable on the back of the desk, low-profile toggles? I don't know the panel. Master OFF also, just because.
To connect, the dsub contact area is too small, even if triped-up. I like the AMP CPC connectors, Series 1 and 3, handle higher power and you can double pins. I pick the shells for the job. I would go 10 Ga on the 0vl and chassis (looks like no chassis wire to modules?*), 12 Ga on the +/-22, 14 on the rest. I don't know the power consumption, so maybe I would gauge lower for all, 12, 14, 16, it depends also on the length of the cable. Use the same size wire as the cable inside each chassis, replacing the original. If they are doubling smaller wire to save production cost, replace with bigger. Expando sheath over it and you have a monster!
* There is a lot of metal in there, so they must have it bonded and connected to mother earth somehow? Not familiar.
Mike

Thanks Solder Boy, there are 5 fuses in the power supply. 1.5 amp to 1.0 amp. Does that give us an indication of wire size to use? I was hoping to find a 12 conductor cable that I could buy around 8’ and a multi pin connector like you suggested. Great idea on the phantom power being on the back panel. Why didn’t I think of that. 🤔

Latest posts

Back