F22 Mic from AliExpress. Is it any good? What is it based on?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurPinto

Hey guys! I'm REALLY new into the hobby and want to get some help with it. I have a basic home studio and I mostly produce demos and stripped-down stuff. I already have a couple of 57's, some Behringer C4's to record in XY, a Takstar CM63 to record mono acoustics and a AKG C214 that I use on everything and really like on vocals and acoustic guitar. I wanted to buy another condenser to use together with the C214 for acoustic or vocals. As I live in Brazil and taxes are crazy, my budget is limited to $50 and I REALLY can't extend it because of taxes, so BaiFeiLi mics are out of question, as are most US made ones.

I was watching some videos and saw one about a "TEMU F22" from SkeetGuitar (I don't know if I can post links, so I won't) and kinda liked the tone of it. As it's inside my budget I might buy the 26mm capsule version of it and probably swap out the capsule, as the crazy brazillian taxes don't let me buy the 34mm one. I found some circuit and capsule pics at [email protected] but couldn't contact the guy who posted.

I wanted to know about the circuit, as I cant identify it because I'm new in the hobby, what capsule suits it best (I really like K12's and V47's) and if this mic is ANY GOOD at all or should I only use it as a body donor. I'm open to suggestions if I should build something from scratch buying stuff one at a time because of the $50 budget limit because of the taxes, but as I'm not really confident in my skills, something pre-built, a kit or a buy list in Brazil would be better.

I don't want the best mic in the world at this point as I'm starting out and still not serious about it. I just want something that's decent and "good enough" right now. I want to upgrade, but I can't buy something better in the near future.

Pics from the circuit and the video are below. I'm writing below the comments from the guy who took the pic too to give some context about it.

"I want to share this microphone that I just bought as a donor body for my DIY. It is pretty similar to Telefunken mics. I found this on Shopee and there are mics like this on Aliexpress. It is called F22 condenser microphone. When I bought it, it comes with a 25mm capsule and these identical circuit board, which is funny that they included 2 of them: one is the functional one with components and the other has few components missing. These boards are attached with two wires. On the picture, I have replaced the capsule with the one that I am using."

Attachments

• F22 AliExpress.png
    F22 AliExpress.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Hey guys! I'm REALLY new into the hobby and want to get some help with it. I have a basic home studio and I mostly produce demos and stripped-down stuff. I already have a couple of 57's, some Behringer C4's to record in XY, a Takstar CM63 to record mono acoustics and a AKG C214 that I use on everything and really like on vocals and acoustic guitar. I wanted to buy another condenser to use together with the C214 for acoustic or vocals. As I live in Brazil and taxes are crazy, my budget is limited to $50 and I REALLY can't extend it because of taxes, so BaiFeiLi mics are out of question, as are most US made ones.

I was watching some videos and saw one about a "TEMU F22" from SkeetGuitar (I don't know if I can post links, so I won't) and kinda liked the tone of it. As it's inside my budget I might buy the 26mm capsule version of it and probably swap out the capsule, as the crazy brazillian taxes don't let me buy the 34mm one. I found some circuit and capsule pics at [email protected] but couldn't contact the guy who posted.

I wanted to know about the circuit, as I cant identify it because I'm new in the hobby, what capsule suits it best (I really like K12's and V47's) and if this mic is ANY GOOD at all or should I only use it as a body donor. I'm open to suggestions if I should build something from scratch buying stuff one at a time because of the $50 budget limit because of the taxes, but as I'm not really confident in my skills, something pre-built, a kit or a buy list in Brazil would be better.

I don't want the best mic in the world at this point as I'm starting out and still not serious about it. I just want something that's decent and "good enough" right now. I want to upgrade, but I can't buy something better in the near future.

Pics from the circuit and the video are below. I'm writing below the comments from the guy who took the pic too to give some context about it.

"I want to share this microphone that I just bought as a donor body for my DIY. It is pretty similar to Telefunken mics. I found this on Shopee and there are mics like this on Aliexpress. It is called F22 condenser microphone. When I bought it, it comes with a 25mm capsule and these identical circuit board, which is funny that they included 2 of them: one is the functional one with components and the other has few components missing. These boards are attached with two wires. On the picture, I have replaced the capsule with the one that I am using."

For $50 you won't be able to buy from AliExpr.., Temu, etc, anything better than the C214 you already have.
As for building a good quality DIY microphone, it depends on your skills.

Do you know if this circuit could fit well soundwise with a 77JC/RK-47 style capsule? I think that the thicker midrange in a U47 style mic would fit it's lack of bass (which I'm not that bothered about). To me this circuit looks like one of the fake TEMU Neumann's U87, for example, as shown in this video. I don't know much about eletronics, but it looks like it's the same thing, but it might just be the same layout.

I just want to clarify that I dont want to buy this mic as a substitute for my C214, but to use alongside it in a acoustic guitar and vocals performance with 2 large diaphragm mics. If it doesn't completly suck and it's kinda ok would already be enough for now, as I may do more DIY mods other than a capsule swap after my skills get better!

@ArthurPinto
Don't you have the possibility to buy new T.bone, MXL, Behringer, etc. microphones directly from physical or online stores in your country without import and transport taxes? Or used from sales sites?
They have a very good performance/price ratio and some can be modded, improved

I can easily find some old MXLs and some Behringers and I've had some, like de V67G, 990 and 991 from MXL which I sold to buy my C214, but never seen a T.Bone, though.

Which one of Behringer's and MXL's most known mics would you recommend for a V47/C12 style capsule/mod? I really can't find anything like it in this price range and the closest thing that I could get is the WA-47Jr, but it's way out of my budget. I'm mostly looking for a body and circuit that could pair nicely with a 77JC/RK-47 style capsule

I can easily find some old MXLs and some Behringers and I've had some, like de V67G, 990 and 991 from MXL which I sold to buy my C214, but never seen a T.Bone, though.

Which one of Behringer's and MXL's most known mics would you recommend for a V47/C12 style capsule/mod? I really can't find anything like it in this price range and the closest thing that I could get is the WA-47Jr, but it's way out of my budget. I'm mostly looking for a body and circuit that could pair nicely with a 77JC/RK-47 style capsule
The k47 capsule needs a body as large as possible with a cylindrical headbasket, with a large diameter (6cm). Something like mxl cr89 would probably work, the circuit is good
In general, you can look for any other decent brands that are more accessible in your country, at an affordable price, used
U87 style bodies are not suitable for getting the 47 sound

Pictograma Verificată de Comunitate

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-20-20-46-44-294_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-20-20-46-44-294_com.android.chrome.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I wanted to buy another condenser to use together with the C214 for acoustic or vocals.

Why do you need another condenser microphone? While I enjoy shopping for new gear and building different microfphones, it appears you have loose change jingling in your pocket and you are looking for a solution to an unknown, undefined problem (what a friend calls a "problem looking for a solution.")

Perhaps you could provide a more specific description of what you need the microphone to do for you? I am NOT being critical. Knowing more would help you select the best tool for the job.

As I live in Brazil and taxes are crazy, my budget is limited to $50 and I REALLY can't extend it because of taxes, so BaiFeiLi mics are out of question, as are most US made ones.

Understood! Given this very real budget restraint, and considering what you have already have, I would sit tight and save my money for something really special down the road that has a specific function my current mic collection cannot handle. While we all like bargains, buying a really low cost, below average microphone now will not be as satisfying as buying something special that solves a particular problem later. You already have a nice collection of effective low cost microphones. Again, I am NOT being critical. I think you would do better to save up and get a truly special microphone that fills a clearly defined void in the future.

I was watching some videos and saw one about a "TEMU F22" from SkeetGuitar

I agree with Mr. RuudNL the TEMU microphone in the video sounds rather thin. I agree with Mr. Micolas the Temu model for less than $50 will not measure up to your AKG C214. I sorta doubt it will add anything really helpful in your studio. Buying from Temu is a somewhat risky business. Many unhappy customers have reported they did not receive the quality they expected and received little or no satisfaction or assistance seeking a remedy after the sale. Money is too tight to mention for many of us. The Temu item might be a real bargain as a first microphone, but you already have some really good microphones - while the Temu model might be fun to use at first, it could eaisly become a paperweight in due course.

I might buy the 26mm capsule version of it and probably swap out the capsule, a

This may not be money well spent. Putting a Ferrari engine in a Fiat Uno does not create a high performance sports car. Besides, no microphone does any good resting in your parts closet - ultimately, you will feel compelled to spend even more money building something to put it back into service. :)

I wanted to know about the circuit, as I cant identify it

Interesting Fact No. 29873: Many experts say the circuit contributes just 5% of the overall sound, while the capsule, itself, does the real work. I doubt the Temu item has a super high quality capsule at such a low price.

Serving Suggestion: Delay making a purchase while you take more time to research and better define what you really need to build or buy latler. Start by reading archived messages in this and other DIY groups, and scour the internet for ideas and project plans. For example, www.instructables.com has several good articles on building microphones, Research low cost donor bodies and other components, constantly looking for serious bargains on eBay.com and other web sites. For example, I recently acquired an MXL circuit board and capsule which was removed from another guy's microphone project for just $20 US. This process takes time, so be patient until a really good deal comes along.
Again, I am NOT being critical - just suggesting you better save your money and buy something you really need to solve a specific, clearly definied problem later on. I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" so that is just another aspect of the hobby.

Another Serving Suggestion: Consider adding another dynamic performance style microphone to your collection. I have purchased some rather good, very low cost dynamic cartridges which sound good on vocals and some also sound good on instruments. Your 57's are dynamic microphones sharing the same capsule design as the SM58. I have purchased high quality Shure brand mic handles for as little as $15, grills for $5, and capsules for less than $10 - filling voids in my own microphone collection. Dynamic cartridges can be useful alternatives and have their place on stage and in the studio.

Ultimately, it all depends on what you want to accomplish. Perhaps we could be more helpful if we knew more about what you want a new microphone to do.

GOOD LUCK ! James - K8JHR

Why do you need another condenser microphone? While I enjoy shopping for new gear and building different microfphones, it appears you have loose change jingling in your pocket and you are looking for a solution to an unknown, undefined problem (what a friend calls a "problem looking for a solution.")

Perhaps you could provide a more specific description of what you need the microphone to do for you? I am NOT being critical. Knowing more would help you select the best tool for the job.

Understood! Given this very real budget restraint, and considering what you have already have, I would sit tight and save my money for something really special down the road that has a specific function my current mic collection cannot handle. While we all like bargains, buying a really low cost, below average microphone now will not be as satisfying as buying something special that solves a particular problem later. You already have a nice collection of effective low cost microphones. Again, I am NOT being critical. I think you would do better to save up and get a truly special microphone that fills a clearly defined void in the future.

I agree with Mr. RuudNL the TEMU microphone in the video sounds rather thin. I agree with Mr. Micolas the Temu model for less than $50 will not measure up to your AKG C214. I sorta doubt it will add anything really helpful in your studio. Buying from Temu is a somewhat risky business. Many unhappy customers have reported they did not receive the quality they expected and received little or no satisfaction or assistance seeking a remedy after the sale. Money is too tight to mention for many of us. The Temu item might be a real bargain as a first microphone, but you already have some really good microphones - while the Temu model might be fun to use at first, it could eaisly become a paperweight in due course.

This may not be money well spent. Putting a Ferrari engine in a Fiat Uno does not create a high performance sports car. Besides, no microphone does any good resting in your parts closet - ultimately, you will feel compelled to spend even more money building something to put it back into service. :)

Interesting Fact No. 29873: Many experts say the circuit contributes just 5% of the overall sound, while the capsule, itself, does the real work. I doubt the Temu item has a super high quality capsule at such a low price.

Serving Suggestion: Delay making a purchase while you take more time to research and better define what you really need to build or buy latler. Start by reading archived messages in this and other DIY groups, and scour the internet for ideas and project plans. For example, www.instructables.com has several good articles on building microphones, Research low cost donor bodies and other components, constantly looking for serious bargains on eBay.com and other web sites. For example, I recently acquired an MXL circuit board and capsule which was removed from another guy's microphone project for just $20 US. This process takes time, so be patient until a really good deal comes along.
Again, I am NOT being critical - just suggesting you better save your money and buy something you really need to solve a specific, clearly definied problem later on. I enjoy the "thrill of the hunt" so that is just another aspect of the hobby.

Another Serving Suggestion: Consider adding another dynamic performance style microphone to your collection. I have purchased some rather good, very low cost dynamic cartridges which sound good on vocals and some also sound good on instruments. Your 57's are dynamic microphones sharing the same capsule design as the SM58. I have purchased high quality Shure brand mic handles for as little as $15, grills for $5, and capsules for less than $10 - filling voids in my own microphone collection. Dynamic cartridges can be useful alternatives and have their place on stage and in the studio.

Ultimately, it all depends on what you want to accomplish. Perhaps we could be more helpful if we knew more about what you want a new microphone to do.

GOOD LUCK ! James - K8JHR
Hey! Thanks for the tips! I'm mostly looking for a microphone to pair with my C214 to record live acoustic performances. I'm currently using my CM63/MXL 991 for the acoustic and the C214 for vocals, but I find the pencil mics don't capture the fuller, natural tone of the acoustic the way that I like, so, I want another large diaphragm conderser mic to pair with the C214. If the new mic is better for vocals, I will use the C214 on the guitar, and if the new mic is better for guitar, I will keep using the C214 for vocals. It's not something that I need in a hurry, but I'm searching about it for quite a while and can't seem to find something reasonable.

The $50 budget is mostly for new, import mics. Here in Brazil every import above $50 gets a 92% tax, so everything is doubled. My effective budget, considering the used market, is around $100. Here, because of the taxes, most used mics are the same price as a new one in the US. For example, most MXL 990s I can find right now are around $90, as new ones are around $200. So, in practice, as the used prices here are higher because the supply is lower, my budget would be around $100 for a new mic in the US/EU for comparison sake.

I was mostly asking about the TEMU F22 because, for what I could see, the body is quite good, so I could use it for later if the circuit and mic in general sucks even after a capsule swap, but I'm considering buying something like a MXL 990/770 again because, as I searched for a bit at microphoneparts.com, they're a good mic to use a RK-47 style capsule in them. I don't like the form factor too much and I can find some MXL 550 and 2006s, but they're a little bit more expensive, so I might go for the 990/770 because of the deal factor as they're quite commom around here.

During the time I took to write this answer I found out that my uncle has a spare V67G laying around his studio. I might try to convince him to let me mod it with a CK-12 capsule and, if it doesn't work as well as I think, I might buy some cheap 990/770 and get a RK-47 for it.

For the dynamics: unfortunately I had to sell my E609 to fund for a guitar and I just have my SM57 rn. I was looking for some cheap ones in the used market, but prices are kinda high right now. I usually can't find spare parts in the used market lately, but I'll be keeping an eye on it to maybe build one, as it wasn't on my radar. A while back I had a Behringer XM8500 that I used to make EQ matches for another mics, like an SM7B, that I still use to this day. What dynamics mics would you recommend buying at a $100 budget? I don't know many and I was looking for an M88, but they're like $600 and I can't find any used ones.

I'm really grateful for the tips and general help! I'm not a big fan of forums and I mostly look for articles/videos regarding mics, but it was not being enough. I think I might get more active around here and look more deeply into modding. I've already read some great advice around here and my perspective for the situation completly changed. Thanks for the help and relax a bit, there's no way I would interpret your recommendations as you being critical!

Last edited:
The worst part of being in Brazil for mics is the lack of availability. Most stuff I can find are like RGB USB mics and MXL/Behringer ones. Mid budget options are almost nonexistent and high end used stuff are all pretty much 3x the normal new product price, so I'm pretty limited and most different stuff I can only find on AliExpress or maybe get lucky in customs and get a low tax fee for something used on eBay from the US. That's why I think I might resort on modding some standard MXL mics, as I can find some for really cheap and test stuff.

If I were you I would look for a used dynamic to use together with the pencils. maybe a JTS Nx2, I don't know if the brand is sold there, neighbor. greetings!

Just for fun (because I liked the microphone body) I ordered one.
It looks good for the price. I even received a metal shockmount.
To my surprise the microphone worked right out of the box. (This is unfortunately not always the case!).
Output level is very reasonabe and self noise is low.
The microphone uses an electret capsule that doesn't have an excellent LF response.
Inside the microphone are two PCBs, one containing a DC/DC converter that delivers 62 V.
But the funny thing is that (as far as I can see) this voltage isn't used. No surprise with an electret capsule.
Next step is to replace the electret capsule with a 'real' one, probably a K47. We have the polarisation voltage inside the microphone! :)

Last edited:
Just for fun (because I liked the microphone body) I ordered one.
It looks good for the price. I even received a metal shockmount.
To my surprise the microphone worked right out of the box. (This is unfortunately not always the case!).
Output level is very reasonabe and self noise is low.
The microphone uses an electret capsule that hasn't an excellent LF response.
Inside the microphone are two PCBs, one containing a DC/DC converter that delivers 62 V.
But the funny thing is that (as far as I can see) this voltage isn't used. No surprise with an electret capsule.
Next step is to replace the electret capsule with a 'real' one, probably a K47. We have the polarisation voltage inside the microphone! :)
Which version did you buy?
Can you post pictures of the inside and a link?

I received a version with through hole components.
On the audio PCB are 2 x 2SK170BL, 1 x BC547 and 1 x BC547.
Capsule is a 25 mm electret, that looks like a TS-2555, but it isn't.
The original capsule is lacking the lowest frequencies.
Put in a real TS-2555 and you've got a pretty decent microphone!

THIS is the link. (I bought it for 32 Euros!)
I have a feeling they just put in what they have available at the moment...
The PCBs look exactly the same as the ones from DaveLTX , the only difference is that my PCBs are black.

Last edited:
Hey! I'm glad it's at least decent! I wanted to use and K-47 too (probably a 77jc, as kingkorg said it's one of the best cheap AliExpress K-47 capsules), so I hope you keep updating here just to see the results and hear some audio samples! If it's pretty good with the RK-47 I'm buying it right away, as I was almost buying an used MXL 990 for almost double the price I can pay for the F22.

I don't know if the mics from TEMU are the same as the ones from AliExpress, but I might buy it from the link you've posted just for a similar quality, as you stated that they might just sell what they have available in the moment lol!

I received a version with through hole components.
On the audio PCB are 2 x 2SK170BL, 1 x BC547 and 1 x BC547.
Capsule is a 25 mm electret, that looks like a TS-2555, but it isn't.
The original capsule is lacking the lowest frequencies.
Put in a real TS-2555 and you've got a pretty decent microphone!

THIS is the link. (I bought it for 32 Euros!)
I have a feeling they just put in what they have available at the moment...
The PCBs look exactly the same as the ones from DaveLTX , the only difference is that my PCBs are black.

The Temu link is for the Netherlands, it asks me for multiple checks, I can't translate.
Finally, I found something similar on Ali. Can you confirm that this is indeed it?
(26-core variant) :

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EwphBKJ

It looks the same.
And of course the link is for the Netherlands, because I am in the Netherlands... :)
As far as I can see the shockmount looks like it is made of plastic.
Thanks, it looks more expensive on Ali and indeed comes with the ubiquitous cheap plastic shockmount, although they often use a lying strategy by posting pictures that do not correspond to reality.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-29-10-17-43-990_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-29-10-17-43-990_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back