Pics of my Calrec

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infernal_Death

Hi all

I just took some pics of my nearly ready calrec. Both channels work and metalwork is done. I just need to hook up the first channel properly and everything is ready to go. Here are the pics:

CALREC1.JPG

CALREC2.JPG

CALREC3.JPG

Yes the pics are small but i tried to stay in between the dimensions in the rules. The wiring is still messy but it was just for testing. Before racking the unit i will rewire it.

As always thanks to Jakob for this very fine project.

P.S. Before you ask, yes it was a pain in the ass to drill those square holes for the switch caps :green:

Flo

well done, flo !!

looks a bit like a gml eq...

what about your sontec ??

I also finished my two calrecs... each in a 1u rack case and one external power supply for both units...
I'm still waiting for sifam knobs and seno rubberletters... to complete the panels I've done a white finish... cause it's the polar eq ... :grin:

mat

Beautiful!
Kubi, I had bad experiences with non-toroide transformers inside a pultec. I wouldn't recommand it unless you use a mu-metal canned inductor (like Sowter).

First thanks for all the nice words.

@ Kubi
Yes the calrec is i/o balanced. The blue transformer is from era. I used it because i had it laying around. And no complaints about it. But i have to say if i had to buy one i would buy a torodial transformer. They aren't that expensive compared to print transformers. So i agree with Michael. If you want to buy one buy a torodial but if if you have a era transformer laying around there is no point in not testing it.

@ Jaakko
Well i just did a small test and so far i liked it. But i hope when my exams are over (they start next week) that i find some time to record something so i think i can say more after this how much i like the calrec.

@ Matthias
Well yeah looking at the final unit it really looks a bit like a GML. :green:
No news on the sontec. For testing i hooked up only two filterboards on one channel and it worked. So i think i have a fault in one of the other filterboards and the other channel still is complete dead. I just hadn't any time to go over this.

Just a question. What is the point of separating both channels in different cases ? I mean it's just more expensive as 2 1u cases are much more expensive than 1 2u rack case.

@rf
No those aren't conductive plastic pots. The db control potis are standard potis and the frequency control pots are from alphastat (one of the places that sells those dual neg log potis).
I bought the enclosure from the german supplier Benkler Elektronik. So far i am quite pleased with those cases as they aren't that expensive (around 40-45 Euros, more depending on the size) and have a good quality.

Flo

@ flo :

I think it looks better... be prepared for my special "polar design"... ;)
I'll post some pics soon...

on the other hand: two mono eqs in a 2u case without stereo link doesn't make any sense for me, because I really need stereo !!!

the other thing is... I was too lazy to build 2 power supplies for each unit so there's one for both... ;) but that's diy... there are no rules...

@ all: another (standard) question:

which opamps are better ?? :grin:

5532 or lm833 ???

I think the 5532 has the better specs and is used in the most audio gear....

or has the lm833 some advantages related to the circuit ??

what do you think ?

mat

Hey Infernal,

Great work. :0) Any chance you could put up a larger closer picture of your front panel> I would like to see how you set out the markings and what freq. points you used and where. I am wondering how I am going to go about this on mine. thanx.

Matthias i am looking forward to see those pics :grin:

Michael i am not sure when i find the time to do some clips. My parents said i can have a cellar room for my studio so i guess as soon as my exams are over i try to move everything down there where i can make more noise than in my bedroom (maybe as a little background info i am a student still living at home, hope that explains the situation a bit more). So i think it will take some time to make some clips.

Caps go to Franks very cool DIY site ( http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/schaeffer.html ) and download his schaeffer frontpanel layouts. There you will find the calrec scales and markings. It's easy to use as you can zoom in and out. That's exactly what i did. BTW thanks to Frank for all those files !
I think this makes more sense than me posting a pic of my frontpanel.

Flo

Sweet job, Flo!!

Makes me feel bad about the two half full Calrec boards I've got sittin in a box under the bench.

cheers,
kent

Back